Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cooling fans on ea82

So I have the oil pump seals and gaskets on the way. Have to remove the cooling fan and thinking of putting in an electric to replace it. I know a lot of people who think you can get an extra 3 to 5 hp for doing this. Does anybody know if this is true on an ea82? Any gains at all or just more wiring then it's worth? I have a grand am that going to the junk yard so I'd be getting the electric fan from it.

need a slimline fan on water pump side as not the clearance for fat fans. Definitely quieter smoother operation of engine with two elec fans

I used the DCSL12 on water pump side. Davies,Craig avail in US ?

Slim fit 12" fans are available in plenty on Ebay, as singles or pairs, and you can also pick up complete wiring kits for them there too. It's rather simple to wire up, Jezek has done a good write-up on it: 

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/125754-easy-guide-on-five-steps-to-twin-electric-fans-swap/

(his 'bandwidth' for the photos gets exceeded all the time, so you will have to view the above through an ip hiding site such as hidemyass.com in order to see them if they aren't visible)

• Like 1

I am still working on this mod. It is a tight fit, but it can be done. I ordered my temp sensor and fan relay from Watson's street works. I currently have the sensor plumbed into a port on the side of the rad, but the fan doesn't come on, so either idling doesn't get the engine hot enough, or the fan isn't "seeing" the sensor. I know the fan runs, cause it comes on fine if wired direct. I'm thinking about moving the sensor to the upper rad hose. 

John

I never drove mine with the mechanical fan; the fan clutch was toast when I got it, so I can't speak to the power issue. I'm doing the mod primarily because they want like $250 for a fan clutch :-0 and I happened to have an electric laying around the shop. 

Hopefully, it won't run enough to tax the alternator too much. 

John