Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mod/repairs/maintenice/suggestions(questions) for legacy outback

very simple - take the strut assembly out of the Forester, put it in your Legacy - straight swap-over with no mods needed

three nuts on the tophat, two bolts at the hub, remove the brake line clip holding the brake line in place, move it back a little and snip the bracket with a pair of bolt cutters to remove the line without disconnecting.

did this on my 95 Legacy L with 98 Forester struts - the 99s should be the same thing.

yours being a 95 Legacy 'Outback' however, not sure how much extra height you will gain, but I got nearly 2 inches, plus larger tire fit.

Well for the moment I won't be able to do the suspension swap since we are already having to do some engine work on it so it will have to wait. But does anyone know of some cheap and or easy mods for me and my friends to do with my car since I still have a few weeks until school starts. I already have to swap out rear tail gate, rear carpets, all of the seats, hood, and a few other things.

LOL - you can have cheap, or you can have easy, but rarely both.

dont really know what you are trying to achieve with this car, but i will say it again - get it running smoothly and reliably in stock form first, before you go tinkering too much.

If it isnt 100% to start with, messing around with modifying things could take a small issue and make it into a huge one.

• Like 1

The car is already having all of its seals replaced in the engine same with the timing belt, cv boots, one of the axles, tune up, and a good cleaning in the engine bay. I'm looking more form making my car to use it for camping and off roading if that helps with anything. My main concern is the mod being cheap. I don't mind trying a challenge and I have a few friends who can help

ah - a camping rig!

I dunno - the Subaru wagon is pretty versatile as it is, without major modifications...the only things I can think of to make it more of a dual purpose, on-road/off-road type vehicle tend to cost a bit of money.

suspension lift would be top priority (after getting engine/tranny in tip-top form)

larger wheels & tires would be next

modifying front and possibly rear bumpers for better approach/departure angles on the trails

roof basket for carrying things - camping gear, full size spare, extra fuel can, etc...

but none of these are exactly cheap.

maybe others can offer up some other ideas that would be more budget friendly...

I already have a basket on top from my baja and I'm planing to take out both of the front fog lights and sell those and get a led light bar for the front. I was think of maybe chopping the bottom half of the front bumper off for better approach angel but I don't know what that would look like. Has any one done like custom rocker panels or something like that? I might be able to get some scrap metal and when school start make some projects with it