Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do I count front differential teeth on 4EAT?

I have a feeling there is something obvious that im missing here, but this has been a long project and I need to eat something, so I'm getting frustrated.

I've got the transmission hanging from an engine hoist. It's a JDM 1997 4EAT that is off a 2.5l car, but is supposed to have a 4.11 ratio. I want to check the front diff visually before I commit to installing it.

I pulled the drain plug, and marked the tooth in front of me with a sharpie. What is the detailed, correct technique for getting that gear to turn so I can count teeth? I've tried a couple things that made sense to me, but nothing that has made the gear seem to move.

I'm gonna go get food, thanks for reading.

You should be able to read the stamping on the ring gear through the drain plug hole. You'll need to rotate it into position. Make sure it's not in park and do as mentioned above, hold one stub shaft and turn the other.

Edited by presslab

Ok, thanks you guys, got it moving.

I tried what crazyeights, gary, and presslab said (thank you for elaborating), but it was still binding.

Not wanting to force it, I wondered about the mechanical speedo sender that I plugged in from the 91 transmission...

Pulled it out, and now I've got a rotating gear, that reads...49?

I thought I was looking for more like 37. I gotta find that chart on here somewhere, and actually count these teeth one at a time.

Alright, 37 teeth counted and triple checked. I have no idea why it is scribed "49" on the back of the ring gear itself.

Now I just gotta go figure out whats going on with this VSS.

Edited by Corvid

Hmm. I didn't see any stamped numbers, the 49 looked electro-penned on.

It was about the size of a thumbnail, maybe a little bigger, at the base of one of the teeth.

Edited by Corvid