Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat Rear Disc Brake Swap Question(s)

I recently purchased a 1983 Subaru Brat GL, and I've been working on getting it fully road worthy.  I took it to a brake place the other day to get the brakes done, and they came back and said that the rear brakes are not factory, and are disc brakes as opposed to drum.    They were unable to determine which pads to use, and thus the car was returned with no brakes put on.    Since I wasn't privy to the swap, I am useless in trying to help them. Also, it had a 4 inch lift put on before I purchased -  not sure if that gives any clues.

If anyone has time to help sort this out, I'd appreciate it very much.

I basically need to figure out what model/year the swap came from or what to look for (if there are part numbers, what I have to take apart, etc..).

I have searched the forums to no avail, but perhaps I am not using the correct key words.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks!

post-54098-0-51325900-1407526936_thumb.jpg

Ok, the number of lugs is throwing me off a bit, but I had a rear disk break conversion done on my 82' Brat with a break set-up from a 91' XT and ordered a full set of drilled and slotted rotors from R1 concepts. And at the same time had a 6 lug conversion done. I included a screen cap of my order from R1 concepts for visual reference, hopefully this will help.

Best,

From the pic, looks like someone did a 6-lug conversion to it.

You need pads for the EA82 Turbo models, or the XT6. Same calipers/pads.

A 5-lug swap would most likely be the XT6 vs. the EJ ones.

Don't the EJ's have rear e-brake?

That would be the determining factor there.

Thanks to all who responded, it was a huge help getting this resolved. I finally got the brake pads from amazon (Wagner Thermoquiet PD314 as suggested by Crazyeights)  and installed, and I am no longer embarrassed to drive around town - the horrible noises are gone finally.

I really do appreciate everyone taking the time to read these posts, and help others out.