Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why do i have different headlights/ other questions.

You may be looking at EA81 starters.  Years overlapped.   Tell parts lookup to search for 1989 Subaru Loyale 1.8 liter OHC.

What's up with the starter?    You may be able to fix it yourself... could be ignition, relay, bad fuse, faulty ground, worn contacts.    I wouldn't just go throwing money at the problem.

If you want to Change it, instead of Fixing it, you must be aware of this:

Almost any EA81 / EA82 \ EJ18 - EJ20 - EJ22 Starter will bolt right and work well.

Main difference is if car is Automatic or Manual, and even those will swap...

In case of doubt, take out yours and go with it for comparison purposes.

Kind Regards.

got a new starter and it works but the car wont start. Last time i drove it, it sort of just stopped running like it ran out of gas it idled for a bit and died. the night before i had gone through alot of water and really rattled it but i used some carb cleaner popped the clutch and it started right up. NOW nothing any ideas?

Going through a lot of water could mean water in the distributor cap.  Does it cough and sputter but not start? I would pop it off and take a look, clean it out, check the contact points (they they are covered in carbon hit with a fine emery board).  Also check your air cleaner, if it is soaked then you will not get enough air.  While you are in there you can check the fuel, give the throttle a bump and see if the accelerator pump is squirting in to the carb. Lotsa luck.  

-Adam-

Going through a lot of water could mean water in the distributor cap.  Does it cough and sputter but not start? I would pop it off and take a look, clean it out, check the contact points (they they are covered in carbon hit with a fine emery board).  Also check your air cleaner, if it is soaked then you will not get enough air.  While you are in there you can check the fuel, give the throttle a bump and see if the accelerator pump is squirting in to the carb. Lotsa luck.  

-Adam-

Thanks! Yeah this was all a few weeks ago, been driving the truck. The air filter was pretty dry and the distributer cap looks alright

Edited by Mimi-Siku