Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What the Heck Does ECS Stand For?

Emissions Control System.  Should be able to hook up your test connectors and pull the flash codes out of the computer to see what is wrong.

That is, if the light comes on, I should have looked at the picture first.  LoL.  I guess it was just a bit of curiosity.

Edited by Adam N.D.J.

Oh ok thanks! So is the ECS is just monitoring how much exhaust is coming out and whether or not it is harmful? Or does it do something else as well?

The ECS light will come on when there is a fault with one of several emission system components.

It does not really monitor the exhaust.

I have an '84 GL with an auto trans. It has some sort of sensor in the exhaust, I didn't really examine it. But the ECS light would go flicker off and on. It did that until I finished the AVS delete. Actually needed 3 quarters because there was another pipe to block off closer to the cat.

My ECS light still goes on after some driving but I have other problems I'm working through right now, lol. I'm curious to know what your issue is. Let us know what you do.

Thank!

I have an '84 GL with an auto trans. It has some sort of sensor in the exhaust, I didn't really examine it. But the ECS light would go flicker off and on. It did that until I finished the AVS delete. Actually needed 3 quarters because there was another pipe to block off closer to the cat.

My ECS light still goes on after some driving but I have other problems I'm working through right now, lol. I'm curious to know what your issue is. Let us know what you do.

Thank!

You need to read your trouble code(s) on the ECU LED while the ECS is lit,

Remove the trim panel below the steering wheel to see it..

• Like 1

Hey guys I just noticed this lettering at the bottom of my tachometer A few days ago. It looks like it's supposed to light up. Anybody have any idea what ECS stands for or what it does?attachicon.gifimage.jpg

It actually stands for Engine Control System.........Not Emissions.

If it doesn't light up when you turn the key to "ON" before starting.....then you likely have a non-feeback, carbuerated model with no computerized Engine Control System........so it's unused and you can ignore it.

If that is the case, you WILL have an EGR warning light that will come on every 60k miles to remind you to clean out the EGR valve.  Different light than ECS.

• Like 1

So it sounds like the ecs isn't a necessary component? Because I've never had it come on which makes me think it doesn't work.and my engine has run great without it (once again, assuming the ECS doesn't work) so maybe I'll be ok with just leaving it alone? Or is it something I need to have checked out?

Edited by Sapper 157

It actually stands for Engine Control System.........Not Emissions.

If it doesn't light up when you turn the key to "ON" before starting.....then you likely have a non-feeback, carbuerated model with no computerized Engine Control System........so it's unused and you can ignore it.

If that is the case, you WILL have an EGR warning light that will come on every 60k miles to remind you to clean out the EGR valve. Different light than ECS.

Wow thanks. You answers my question before I even posted it. Creepy. :)

And yes your right my gl is carburated

Edited by Sapper 157