Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Loyale Battled a Camry :(

That's not long ago, unless you drove it an awful lot...  The V belts?  if they have cracks or worse, replace them. 

The timing belts, every 50K miles to be safe.  40K really safe.  All 3 Idlers at the same time.  Way back when they cost $90.00 each, I made custom ones with replaceable bearings.  So I just replace the bearings, for like $9.00 each.

You can replace the pump without removing the belts. Or the covers (completely). I had to change mine quickly after getting my car and it had the covers on. I drilled holes around the part of the cover that interferes with the pump coming off very carefully, and then around the edge of the cover and snapped that piece off. It's not the right way to do it and you have to take care not to Nick any critical components with the drill, but it's doable

Here's another wrong way of getting that cover off -I threaded a long bolt same size as the ones holding the fan on -all the way thru one of those holes that hold the fan, then turned the crank round, using the bolt to destroy the cover. I did this when the cover bolts would not come out. hth

Also, since the EA82 is a non-interference engine it really doesn't matter if the timing belts snap from lack of maintenance...

That's not long ago, unless you drove it an awful lot...  The V belts?  if they have cracks or worse, replace them. 

The timing belts, every 50K miles to be safe.  40K really safe.  All 3 Idlers at the same time.  Way back when they cost $90.00 each, I made custom ones with replaceable bearings.  So I just replace the bearings, for like $9.00 each.

It's just not very convenient when they break.   There is no warning, the engine just dies.  And you have to get a tow, or a push, or fix it where it is.

If you do take them off, and goof up the installation, the worst thing that happens is it won't run.  No damage is done.

• 2 weeks later...

Take the fan off. Undo the bolts holding the pulley to the front of the water pump and then re-assemble it but leave the fan off.

The first couple times you drive your car, watch your temperature gauge closely, but you really should be ok. I've removed the fan from my girlfriend's Loyale because of the accident she had and had to replace the electric one as well with one of those universals because the OEM fan would no longer fit. Her car never over-heats and only occasionally gets warmer than normal (heavy traffic, mid-day)

I've also removed that fan from my own personal subaru, because it robs a negligible amount of power and because I hated the loud noise it made and my car also never overheats but does occasionally get a little above normal warm, still; rarely.

Both of these cars have been this way for over 2 years.