Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First car, 88 Subaru DL 4wd exterior ideas

Ofwgkta

Hi, I'm a new driver, (not even yet. I still need another month with my permit) But I've already owned my first car for a few months now, have been working on making it a reliable first car. I've replaced the timing belts, water pump, oil and fuel filters, a CV axle and I checked all hoses, and replaced the few that were still old. Im the thrid owner and the car was very well taken care of by the first owner, the sorta trashed by the second. But im looking for some exterior things to add to it's look. Possibly a roof rack, new bumpers or any other ideas you all have used to make your cars, more one of a kind.

Welcome to the board!

post up some pics! Depends on your preference. I've seen some nice looking, low to the ground street cars. There are some great examples that are rigged for trails, camping, off roading etc.

What are you hoping to use the car for the most?

And congrats! These 80s cars are very dependable and easy to work on. And usually quite inexpensive on repairs when they are needed. You picked a great first car.

Thank you! I heard a lot of good things about these cars so I figured why not get one considering it'll be in my price range, unlike a Forester. Which is the Subaru I've always wanted haha but I'm definitely pleased with it (: I'm hoping to make it an all around daily driver, that has that street edge with the ability to also off-road to an extent.

Welcome aboard.  I notice you are just up the road from me, I am in Medford.  

What you can do with the car has a little bit to do with what it is.  One could assume that it is a Gen 3 (you are in the 80s forum and said timing belt) what which body is it (wagon, sedan, three door, ect.).

Through the forums you could find nearly every idea that you could think of to do with you car.  A lot of what can be done with these generations though require a little more of the work to make it fit modification rather than just the bolt on the new goody that the newer ones do.

Once again, welcome aboard, look around, have fun.  

-Adam-

Most of us use free photo hosting like Photobucket.com and paste the image link here. Works pretty well.

The later 80s wagons can clear pretty good size tires without a lift and are good trail vehicles. RX body kits can be fitted on them for street style. Roof racks, fog lights, brush bars etc. This thread -> http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/122906-the-awesome-older-generation-picture-thread/ should have plenty of inspiration in it.

I like to go to local pick N pulls and such with an open mind. over time you can find some neat factory and aftermarket upgrades on the cheap.

I'm keeping the stock wheel with it because, i can't find a set of affordable 4x140 rims for the life of me and I don't want any power loss.Planning on getting some stylish hubcaps and call it good haha I like the idea of pick n pulls. Seems like you could come across some interesting things haha but here's a picture, 20140917_181626_resized_1_zps3b2aac83.jp

You could try painting the rims red (match the body) I did this with my wagon wheels and really like the look of it. There was also a picture of a tan coloured sedan with steelies painted the same colour as it somewhere. I would imagine the looks not for everyone though. +1 for spotlights
6Jgsy.jpg

-Tom

• Like 1