Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"Subaru GL" Lettering removal?

Does anyone know of anyway to remove the plastic lettering from the back of a 84 GL wagon?? Im talking about the little strip that says "Subaru GL". The paint on the lettering is faded and its long overdue that I repaint it and it would make it a lot easier if I could take off the strip so I could paint it on a bench instead of on the car. Does the thing just snap on and off or is it permanently stuck in there?

They pry off "okay" just take your time to work the tape off instead of breaking the emblem. They're held on by double sided foam trim tape which can be bought at a auto parts store or online(3-M makes a couple types). The factory manual shows trying to take it off with heavy fishing line but i have never had good luck with that.

Mine just fell off, didn't have to pry at all.

:lol:  :lol: Im reading down thru the comments and all the guys up above are giving me all these differnt techniques (helpful techniques I might add) and I come across this one... made me bust a gut!! Thanks for giving me my daily laugh dinky! :D  :D

• Like 1

If you decide to incorporate the use of a putty knife, make sure it is a plastic putty knife.  And, you can sharpen it with a file (if need be).

I like the idea of using the braided fishing line as a saw.  That stuff is tuff.    I use it on the wind chimes I make.

:lol:  :lol: Im reading down thru the comments and all the guys up above are giving me all these differnt techniques (helpful techniques I might add) and I come across this one... made me bust a gut!! Thanks for giving me my daily laugh dinky! :D  :D

You are most welcome Sapper. I'm glad I could give somebody a laugh with the demise of the lacking stickum on my emblem, i was not very happy when it fell off, gave me the idea to repaint my though at the time