Ultimate Subaru Message Board

BRAT Towbar

the vehicle will need the keys in the ignition, and steering wheel lock disabled, AT LEAST. running in the "N" position on the t-case portion handle can be touchy.

I would only suggest it if you have done it before and know the ins and outs of it. I just remember a friend trying to do it to a wagon, and the stress from trying to make a turn broke the brackets loose and it wrecked his car. I honestly don't know how he had the steering wheel setup.

if this is just to take somewhere for to work on it, I would just rent a tow dolly and put it in neutral on both shifters.

cheers

Timbertiger - I found this very helpful - a spare 'w' on my keyboard.

Turns the letters to into a very useful word in your post :)

Had to read your post a few times to get the gist :(

Do laws prevent you from towing a vehicle behind another vehicle ? Or must you use an approved trailer or tow vehicle ?

Tow in fwd and in neutral. Do not operate in the 'false' neutral on the dual range lever as that can be detrimental if you hit a bump. This is all open diffs and FWD mode is FWD, and manual trans. You can tow 4 down or 2 up, or 4 up. either way with a part time manual trans.

Yep, towing the manual isn't an issue. I built a tow bar for my Brat and have logged several thousand miles with it behind my camper. Only issue I had was right off the bat. Sometimes on tight turns, the front wheels wouldn't return to a straight line. Now I just tow it steering locked. Yes, I am aware this is not the norm and it's harder on the front end components and tires, but since the caster isn't adjustable, I could see no way to get the issue corrected.

I used to flat tow my 88 3 door GL, it had a D/R 5 speed and never had a problem. Turn key to unlock the steering wheel, put the transmission in neutral, parking brake off (I say that because I did forget one time). Towed the car behind our motorhome lots of trouble miles. I do the same with my FJ 40 Landcruiser also.

Thanks everyone for the replys. Sorry I haven't been able to respond. I ended up towing it with the tow bar, shifter in neutral, 4WD lever in normal down position, steering unlocked. Towed 2600 miles from Whidbey island, Was to Pensacola, FL at 75MPH behind my Tribeca and still averaged 17.5MPG! The one problem I had was that the wheels would turn the opposite direction on slow sharp turns and I would have to hop out in a hurry and straighten her out but this was only a problem in gas stations and drive thrus etc... Not sure what the issue is but only a minor problem and well worth the effort!

• Like 2

Yeah I read the same thing in some other forums about different cars. None offered an explanation or solution of course. The only thing I can think of is the short length of the tow bar is allowing my Tribeca to scoot the front end of the BRAT to the side on sharp turns and that cocks the wheels in the wrong direction. Also the Tribeca is drawing the towbar slightly downward and I think the added friction doesn't alow the tires to forgive and travel strait one it begins to bind.

Not sure longer will do it. Mine is 4' I believe. I have adjustable strut rods I'm going to be installing soon so I can adjust the caster which I believe to be the overall problem. Small tires and too much positive caster. Good for high speed stability, not so much for low speed turning and tight corners.