Ultimate Subaru Message Board

does anyone happen to know what tools (wrenchs sizes, etc) I need to remove the battery cables on a 91 legacy?

I need to know what tools I need to remove the battery cables on a 1991 Subaru legacy. If I had the car here I could just go out to it and figure it out but its not here right now.

I want to have the tools needed to remove the cables today and get them to interstate battery to have new cables made. I called the Subaru dealer and they said that the positive and negative cables are all one part. Then they told me it would need to be ordered and was $96 some dollars. I even had to give the last eight numbers of the vin.

I can have new cables made that are longer, are better quality and a bit cheaper for that. So, why not?

I'd take 10 and and maybe a 12mm box end/open end for the battery - and probably a small adjustable end-wrench in case the terminal had ever been replaced with after market. It helps that the adjustable wrench has a little beef to it, you may need to tap the terminal sideways bac&forth to loosen it. maybe take a wire brush or some coarse sand paper to clean terminals?

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I got the cables and went off to interstate battery to drop them off and have new ones made since they said they were open until 5pm and it was only a little after 4pm when I got there.When I arrived they said everyone who knew that stuff had already went home for the day.

What's up with that?  If that's the case your supposed to tell your customers so they know. I called ahead of time at 2pm and asked specifically when they closed while talking to the guy who was supposed to be there and he said they were open until 5pm. If you leave the place and only have dipshits there who can't help your customers and your supposed to be the best battery place around but your employees don't know a damn thing about batteries, battery cables or anything to do with batteries then tell me what time your leaving, not what time your open until.

I spent two hours freezing my jiblets off, trying to locate, then remove battery cables, since interstate couldn't help me unless I knew the cable length, where the cables went, and the cable size and how thick it was and what guage it was made from. Telling them my year make and model of my car and my engine size isn't how they do things they told me. So I bought these cables so they could have them to see what I had, drop them off and get the whole process of getting battery cables made moving forward, just to be told no one is there who can help me until tomorrow.

Ain't interstate battery too cool?

Edited by blue91legacy

Your question was what was left "open"...  to interpretation.

Below from The Pink Panther Strikes Again:

Clouseau: [sees dog in hotel lobby and directs question to clerk]
Does your dog bite?

Hotel Clerk:
No.

Clouseau:
[bowing down to pet the dog]
Nice doggie.

[Dog barks and bites Clouseau on the hand]

Clouseau:
I thought you said your dog did not bite!

Hotel Clerk:
That is not my dog.

Edited by brus brother
  • Like 1

So thinking that a business could actually help me with things they actually do and specialize in until the time they close is somehow open to interpretation? Very interesting view point. I know if I was at work and told the customers I couldn't help them because I didn't know how I'd be fired. Guess it doesn't work that way at interstate battery.

Also this happened in today's world and todays times. If someone asked a person managing a hotel if their dog bit people, they would know there was a dog there and fearing a lawsuit would tell them that isn't their dog and to be beware if they even allowed dogs in the lobby.

My point is that its no use keeping the doors open and staying open if you can't help your customers for the entire time you are open. if you can't you need to have a sign or something informing your customers you can only help them for certain times during business hours not the entire time you are open.

if you feel I'm being silly expecting a business to be able to do what they advertise they do for the entire time they are open. Then we simply disagree. I am not changing my opinion. I feel I have a very valid, logical and reasonable expectation.

Edited by blue91legacy

I got the cables and went off to interstate battery to drop them off and have new ones made since they said they were open until 5pm and it was only a little after 4pm when I got there.When I arrived they said everyone who knew that stuff had already went home for the day.

What's up with that?  If that's the case your supposed to tell your customers so they know. I called ahead of time at 2pm and asked specifically when they closed while talking to the guy who was supposed to be there and he said they were open until 5pm. If you leave the place and only have dipshits there who can't help your customers and your supposed to be the best battery place around but your employees don't know a damn thing about batteries, battery cables or anything to do with batteries then tell me what time your leaving, not what time your open until.

I spent two hours freezing my jiblets off, trying to locate, then remove battery cables, since interstate couldn't help me unless I knew the cable length, where the cables went, and the cable size and how thick it was and what guage it was made from. Telling them my year make and model of my car and my engine size isn't how they do things they told me. So I bought these cables so they could have them to see what I had, drop them off and get the whole process of getting battery cables made moving forward, just to be told no one is there who can help me until tomorrow.

Ain't interstate battery too cool?

i have this dilemma often: i have the part i need on another car (free) or i can go spend $xx to get a new one. seems simple, right? not so fast!! often i've found that the time an effort to get the old one off makes it about the same in terms of "economy" (my time and effort = $xx)

of course it's tough to tell before hand but in your case i can't see anyone making them for less than $40-50 and with the the dealer set only being $96 i would say that isn't enough of a difference to make it worthwhile

I guess for business that have sales and offer a service, they often use different schedules - plus, you could get a dumb receptionist in the mix...

there's difference between, "how late can someone sell me a battery" vs "If I want to wait on new cables being made, what's the latest I should arrive?"

still, kinda sucks if you were misled about it.

• Like 1