Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seems I still have a factory muffler (or factory replacement), with the TINY outlet. Anyone bother putting a freer-flowing muffler on their NA EJ22? Any improvement in MPG or midrange power? Between the weight and the overall restrictive appearance of the factory GIANT muffler, looks like it could use a little help letting spent gases exit easier. I always use Summit Racing turbo mufflers or Thrush's equivalent in my cars (not the loud ones), and the sound barely changes but the there is usually an improvement over stock. 

A 2.2L should have a minimum 2.25" exhaust and muffler, I'm guessing mine is 1 7/8"? Was thinking of getting a 2.5" outlet muffler, and adding a jump adapter to get it to match the factory pipe. Should help reduce back pressure a bit.

Any muffler anecdotes people want to share?

How about the dual tip mufflers from first gen legacy?

1 7/8 is correct for scavenging , and velocity. Keep the header and cats as they are. Consider a mid mount muffler in the center pupe (glasspack
( and then your 2" pipe behind it straight and 2.5 " as the exit taking place of the muffler. I would keep it 2" after the midpipe flange

How about the dual tip mufflers from first gen legacy?

1 7/8 is correct for scavenging , and velocity. Keep the header and cats as they are. Consider a mid mount muffler in the center pupe (glasspack

( and then your 2" pipe behind it straight and 2.5 " as the exit taking place of the muffler. I would keep it 2" after the midpipe flange

Dual tips are a nice compromise with some mufflers when you are limited to how large of an exit diameter is offered as they obviously allow more flow to exit and lessen any bottle-necking in the muffler. Although I'd rather get a small single out and cut the pipe off at the muffler back, enlarge the hole, then weld on a larger outlet rather than a dual-tip with the particular muffler in mind. The Summit Racing Turbo mufflers are traditionally styled mufflers, have a decent sound, and are extremely light + really inexpensive & compact. The galvanized ones don't last that long when subjected to salt, but they sound really nice and give a stock-like performance note, though I'm guessing the stock cats on these cut most of the fun noise out.

If I had the gusto right now, I'd stick a single high-flow cat in as the factory units look like bloated HP robbers, then maybe do a "Y" pipe near the rear bumper and run dual mufflers. A Frankenmotor would probably really benefit from that type of setup. Glass packs are too loud :unsure:  

Guess I'll just look for a 2.5" outlet (better looking tail pipe ;) ) and match to an adapter, or 2 adapters as going from 1 7/8" to 2.5" typically isn't normal and see if the extra flow helps. Figure freeing up 5hp and dropping what looks like 40 pounds of factory muffler would be worth it, though MPG is more important in this car.

I have tried several cheapie high flow mufflers on Subies and VWs. Results were a little louder, but no change in HP or MPG.

You dyno'd a before and after and saw zero change? I'd expect a couple hp/tq to be freed up (with a capable muffler), with maybe a slight loss in off idle torque or something. I've had positive results with my other cars and MPG always improved, even if only by a very small amount, but then again other small supporting mods were also included to achieve best effect.

You dyno'd a before and after and saw zero change? I'd expect a couple hp/tq to be freed up (with a capable muffler), with maybe a slight loss in off idle torque or something. I've had positive results with my other cars and MPG always improved, even if only by a very small amount, but then again other small supporting mods were also included to achieve best effect.

No dyno testing done, but even so, if a couple of hp/tq increased, it would not make any measurable performance difference in driving, or even "seat of the pants" improved performance.

Biggest draw back is the added exhaust noise. At first it sounds great, but after a short period of time, the noise competing with a good car sound system becomes annoying. Every mod change to a car is a trade off.

• Like 1

you even try a turn-down tip.

You mean to redirect the sound? I don't have anything that'd be loud enough for that. Plus the pipe pointing straight back is better looking ;) Although, my old 79' Mustang Cobra with a mildly built 306 with 74' heads, small, tight cam with 10:1 had them and they dumped right before the axle and pointed down and little towards the wheels. Same Summit Racing Turbo mufflers and it sounded mean as hell with the acoustics bouncing off the road. 

EDIT: Just saw your clip. That's a good sound, but too much rasp for my tastes. I prefer more mellow FWIW.

No dyno testing done, but even so, if a couple of hp/tq increased, it would not make any measurable performance difference in driving, or even "seat of the pants" improved performance.

Biggest draw back is the added exhaust noise. At first it sounds great, but after a short period of time, the noise competing with a good car sound system becomes annoying. Every mod change to a car is a trade off.

The actual muffler I'm referring to isn't loud, unless you go with the fully welded version which is basically a 40 series Flowmaster which is too much rasp and drone. The ones I like sound like this:

Edited by Bushwick

Yeah, if you truly want to capture the full sound, it's best to use a separate dedicated audio recorder with dual higher-end mics (placed a several feet apart for stereo ;)) that cover as much of the audio spectrum as possible (even below 20hz as you can either feel it with woofers or a little distortion makes it a touch more audible lower down), then dub that over the video's audio and listen to it on a decent stereo running from the PC.

Im running a Magnaflow 14832 and very happy with it. Its heavy and expensive, but provides a great sound without being obnoxious. Youll need an adapter as the inlet size is 2.25, I used a 2" to 2.25" and the 2" (OD)  end slipped right over the stock 1.75.

when  you put your muffler on, whatever it is, DONT CHEAP OUT; WELD THE THING!!!!!! Dont clamp it! just sayin'... learned that the hard way...

As for performance/milage boost from the magnaflow I cant say, as Im running UEL headers and have a leaking cat flange combined with a thermostat stuck partially closed and leaky head gaskets, so MPGs are already kinda in the toilet to start with for me...

Edited by pginter96