Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a rust problem on my '03 Baja in the driver side rear door well:

DSCN2398_zps593063e2.jpg

The other side appears to be okay and the problem has not shown up on my '00 Outback.  My body shop guy had never seen this before, but a Google search indicates it is not an uncommon problem.  Seems that welds/seams are not quite right, which allows the dread water in.  Only fix I have seen is to cut out the affected area and weld in a section scavenged from another Baja/Legacy/Outback.  However, I'm not sure this will permanently resolve the problem.  

Anyone with first-hand experience with this issue and its resolution?  

K9Leader

Newark, Delaware

k9leader,

Haven't seen this on any Subies (not many in my part of the country), but I've seen similar rot on many cars and trucks over the years in our shop.

I doubt you can get patch panel rockers for a Subie, but they are available for the more popular Chevies and Fords, etc. Certainly worth checking out.

If your body cladding panels are pulled, and the metal underneath is tested for other areas of rot, you should be able to go to a wrecking yard and have an oversized section cut from an Outback to graft in. Just be sure to have it checked out carefully, to ensure its solid, and that you're not buying another rotted out piece.

Obviously when the repair is done, have your car oiled to stop any other spots from getting any worse. Good Luck!

yep, fairly common in rust areas.

gotta weld in another clean piece of metal.  as mentioned it'll be multiple layers going different directions/coming together so keep that in mind as you progress.

search "dogleg" as part of your google search string to come up with some others attacking this issue - i've got one or two to do as well.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/48177-dogleg-welding-plastic-trim.html