Ultimate Subaru Message Board

spartan '88

funk

00X0X_cJj96agf64k_600x450_zps514935d9.jp

I've had this bone stock base model dl for about a month and a half ~ 5 speed, efi, power steering, am/fm ~ this thing didn't come with a tach, roof rack or a passenger side mirror ~ it does have great tires, a block heater and a set of chains ~ the lights, stereo heater and wipers work and it goes anywhere I point it ~ if I baby it, it can clear 37mpg ~ it's sure footed, rides great, handles great, pretty good for having 220 thousand+ miles...

00S0S_7Ac1fG8RyFf_600x450_zps8ee651fd.jp

ok, it's not perfect ~ the fellow I bought it from is decidedly not a car guy, and it needed a lot of things that had nothing to do with the fact that it sat for four years before I got to it ~ it runs hot, which I suspect is caused by an excess of stop leak in the radiator ~ it's also cold blooded, on very cold days the first couple minutes of driving requires a sympathetic foot ~ starting in ambient temps below 10 or 12 degrees makes me thankful that I am a patient soul ~ then there's the rust ~ Vermont pours salt on the roads like it's going out of style, but lucky me, this thing is from Alaska where they only use sand, the result being that this is the only Leone I've seen on the road in years ~ the belly and chassis are all there, the rust is mostly superficial...

Untitled_zps21fb758a.jpg

I said 'mostly' ~ if I knew it wouldn't get worse, I'd just say it's charming and leave it as is

I have lots of ideas about what I'd like to do with this car, don't we all ~ peugeot alloy 14"s and a bumper delete are on the menu, and down the road I'm thinking I'd like to source a glass roof from one of those stretch minis ~ for the time being, it needs a new windshield and I gotta take some construction adhesive and glue the door seals back on where they pulled away from their clips ~ needs a little exhaust work, I'll probably get one of those $15 galvanized mufflers from tractor supply, and burn a few more incense to get rid of the last little bit of mousy smell ~ maybe cut up one of those deep-pile persian rugs they sell at big lots...

001_zps4701434a.jpg

It looks worse than it is. Road salt is awful stuff, but rinsing your car thoroughly at least twice a week will prevent new rust from taking hold and slow the existing rust. There are very few old cars in Vermont because people do not give their cars proper care, especially now that most choose to lease instead of buy.

That said, I just got this car. Rust will be gone before too long.

• Like 2

Its actually pretty clean looking minus the gate and rear quarter panels. Your rockers look still intact! Looks like it'll be a fun project :)

Check inside the radiator when its running and at temp to see if there are any bubbles in the Rad, if so it could be a failed HG causing the overheat, if nothing, than I would just revamp the entire cooling system.

On a side note, if the Waterpump was never replaced, I've seen one where all the pusher blades on the pump corroded away and there was nothing pushing the water. With 200k it could be possible.

-Tom

• Like 1