Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whining noise

This morning I made an abrupt right hand turn into work this morning and this odd whining noise started. At first I thought it was coming from the rear right tire area but as I continued to pull into the parking lot it sounded as if it was coming from under the hood or front right tire area. I didn't notice it happening more or less if I turned to one side or went straight. I believe this is a constant sound picking up noise under load. The sound reminds me of a belt rubbing against plastic or maybe a power steering pump going bad. I was only able to drive it a few hundred yards from the entrance to the parking spot so I couldn't really listen for very long. I opened the hood to listen and I didn't notice the noise at an idle. Anyone have some ideas on what could cause that type of noise after a abrupt sharp right hand turn?

ea82

3at awd

1993 Loyale

I just drove around a few minutes ago and the noise was gone. It did only make the noise while I was moving. I have noticed it before on sharp fast right hand turns but it goes away almost immediately and it seems to be concentrated to the right rear tire area. However today it didn't go away (until now) and it was difficult to pin point where exactly the noise was coming from. What does it sound like when an axel or bearings go out? Also I did a brake job about 1,000 miles ago I'm wondering if maybe I didn't get an axel nut on tight enough? All I had to tighten them was a 12" crescent wrench and my 240lb body standing on it to "torque" them down.

Edited by loyale1993

I could be a brake caliper sticking.   Did you lube the pins when you did the brake job?

PS Belt could be slipping when pump is under load - check fluid and tension of belt.

Tighten those axle nuts - A lot of retail auto part stores will 'loan' you a 36mm socket and 1/2" bar.

Let us know what you find.

I could be a brake caliper sticking.   Did you lube the pins when you did the brake job?

PS Belt could be slipping when pump is under load - check fluid and tension of belt.

Tighten those axle nuts - A lot of retail auto part stores will 'loan' you a 36mm socket and 1/2" bar.

Let us know what you find.

Good idea on borrowing the 36mm socket. I should just buy one to add to my collection. I did lube the pins when  I did the brakes. My power steering fluid was low so that is topped off now. I really don't think the sound was coming from the steering pump. I guess I'll wait to see if it happens again and try to pinpoint it.  :wacko:

Edited by loyale1993

• 2 years later...

It could be the rear wheel bearing going  out.  I had one that made noise for a few miles, then stopped for about a thousand miles.  When it did start again, the bearing was toast within 150 miles.  Too bad I was 300 miles from home by that time...

Check to see if the bearing housing on that side is warmer than the other.

Edited by robm