Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1988 turbo random question

So I deliver pizza's in my Subaru and yesterday my car started to randomly backfire multiple times when i would decel. which is out of the norm. before i would really have to load the motor for it to get a good backfire which I rarely do...the only thing I have done to the car recently is drive a lot more sane...but anyway I thought nothing of the backfiring just that it was strange...now the even more weird part is that today once the motor got warmed up the turbo just about sounds like a diesel turbo...like i was side by side with a powerstroke and my turbo was about as loud as his....didnt know if that meant the bearing is toast or the turbine or what any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

~MuddyThunder

Sounds like you have an intake leak.. because if you're sucking air while decelerating then you will run rich and backfire, also if your getting a real loud turbo whistle it could be a loss of intake pressure and would sound like a performance turbo haha

Just something I've had happen, not saying that's your problem but a good place to start

If you have a big enough leak you would leak boost pressure and the car would not boost well if at all. I would think you would run lean. Because introduced air after the afm would cause extra air that it hasnt added fuel for. But you never know it could cause a rich condition if all the aor is escaping before it gets into the intake. Check it out at idle and see where the noise is coming from. Double check all intake clamps. even check youre turbos compressor wheel for excessive play.

Edited by SoobDood05