Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Inspect wheel bearing lubricant (front & rear) 2012 Forester

getting ready to do 60K service, required to keep extended warranty in force, most steps look straight forward but this step called out for is a little bit baffling-are these bearings different than the old style press fits that I don't see a way to inspect without disassembly-and would think you might as well replace. Every 60K seems a bit often. I searched and found much information on diagnosis and replacement, but nothing to address this topic.

Thanks

The bearings are sealed. No way to inspect the lubricant inside them.

This is an aftermarket extended warranty correct? Often they have to include items that your vehicle may not have, such as serviceable wheel bearings that some 4wd trucks may have. It would cost them a fortune to write an individual detailed policy for every different vehicle.

• Like 1

thanks, if you look at the maintenance schedule in the OEM manual, this is included at 60K and 120K-the warranty is Subaru Warranty to 7 years or 100K, states all required maintenance be performed per schedule to keep in effect. Let me know if anyone has any other bright ideas, has to go back to dealer this week to fix brake line recall, may get spousal unit to see if she can ask get more information.........

inspections like that simply mean "listen for noise".  the dealers do nothing - just audibly listen.  no way in a billion years would Subaru call someone out for "not properly inspected wheel bearing lubricant" - i don't think i can exaggerate how silly that notion is, believing that is worthy (not really) of being ostracized, called a witch, and burnt at the stake.

• Like 1

Spousal unit took to dealer today for brake line corrosion recall fix, asked about procedure. They told her, oh yeah you have to check the lubricant or the bearings could fail. She called Bull excrement, and said they are sealed bearings and press fit in so HTF do you inspect the lubricant "level"? They admitted that unless they were loose or noisy there is no indication there is a problem-what we all knew to begin with.

Thanks to all for input, will check as I perform all of the other legit 60K items.

glad to be back active on the board again , and to have a Sube in the fleet again