Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stock roof rack weight limit?

The owners manual says only 100 lbs, I tried to read the sticker on my rack but it is so sun bleached that it is unreadable. 

100 pounds? Wow, I thought it might be a little more than that. Well guess I should get an owners manual! Thanks for the answer though!

I'd say you can safely use  more weight than this.

I do some small contracting work and I regularly carry various loads of plywood,sheetrock and lumber on top.

Not trying to carry a new deck's worth but I am sure I carry a lot of 150-200 lbs loads, with no ill effects.

This on a 96 OB.

O.

• Like 1

Right on I think around 100 lbs is what I've seen in my Legacy manual too. I think that rating isn't so much that the rack can't hold more than that, I mean it can definitely support more than that as a static load. I think they keep the weight down low because of (1) emergency handling might get crazy with too much load up there, and (2) in an accident they probably don't want to chance the rack ripping right off the roof.