Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Window cranks, '84, how to remove?

mkoch

You need a pic or flat blade and a rag... There is a wire clip holding it in, and yes, they are a real pita. There are tools made for this purpose but Ive always made due without.

"

"

Install is much easier; snap the clip on the crank and push the crank on the splined shaft.

Edited by ihscout54

I learned a trick that works so well I wish I'd learned it years ago. I can get a window crank handle off in seconds now. All you need of a rag..

Take one edge of the rag and hold it tight so it's pretty stretched and thin. Insert it, while holding it taught, between the handle and the door card and then move it back and forth in a sawing motion. If nothing happens, try in different spots, round the handle. Some handles have a little circular dust cover between the handle and the door card. You have to try both sides of the dust cover (in front and behind) to see which side the clip is on. It sounds kinda rinky dink, I know, but once you get the method down, you'll have handles off in a matter of seconds.

The way it works is the fibers on the cloth will snag on the metal clip that holds the handle on and dislodge it. Sometimes the clip goes flying though, so keep aware.

• Like 1

I learned a trick that works so well I wish I'd learned it years ago. I can get a window crank handle off in seconds now. All you need of a rag..

Take one edge of the rag and hold it tight so it's pretty stretched and thin. Insert it, while holding it taught, between the handle and the door card and then move it back and forth in a sawing motion. If nothing happens, try in different spots, round the handle. Some handles have a little circular dust cover between the handle and the door card. You have to try both sides of the dust cover (in front and behind) to see which side the clip is on. It sounds kinda rinky dink, I know, but once you get the method down, you'll have handles off in a matter of seconds.

The way it works is the fibers on the cloth will snag on the metal clip that holds the handle on and dislodge it. Sometimes the clip goes flying though, so keep aware.

So the video I posted isnt working I guess.

• Like 1

ihscout, it is. Unfortunately the embedded videos don't show on my phone but I'm on a desktop now, and I can see that I wasted all my time typing that description out lol. That's the ticket. No better way to get those clips off. I use to wrestle with them so much, now they're a breeze.

• Like 1

Another trick is to get an old fork, remove the middle 2 prongs and flatten it out as much as possible. The specialty tolls look very similar to this.

The clip should come off in line with the handle, but it depends which way it was installed whether you need to push from under the handle, or from the other side towards the handle.

BTW, EFI cars don't have a choke. It's just the sensors telling the ECU the coolant is cold so it increases the idle. Same function, just different method

Edited by wagonist