Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Desperately needing 14" or 15" wheels

I need a new set of wheels so I can get some better tires. The tread on these little 13"s are the most dangerous tires I've ever had. I am not looking to lift the car but will probably go up a tire size 24-24.5" from the factory 23.5" diameter.

I just recently moved to MT from AZ and .... yada yada yada.

Update below

Edited by nrwphoto

Well looks like luck has shined on me. I scored a set of 4 Peugeot 505 Turbo 15" flat spoke wheels with center caps and lug nuts included.  It will take a couple of weeks before I get them since they are coming from the east coast.

I am thinking about running 185/65R15 tires on them, does anyone know if these will fit without rubbing? (1987 GL 4WD)

The car is not lifted but rides higher than any stock GLs I've seen in person. Low miles so I am assuming the springs just haven't sagged yet.

What is the largest tire you can run with out lifting or cutting?  (The body is pristine and I don't want to mess it up)

I ran 205/60 R15" on my "BumbleBeast" when it was unlifted, those are between 24.5" and 25" depending on the tire brand, and I only had a slight rub on the inner front fender, on tight curves at fast speeds. I still use same size with my 2" lift, because it gives the best balance for Highways / offroad \ city driving and fuel mileage, with awesome grip.

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

I ran 205/60 R15" on my "BumbleBeast" when it was unlifted....

Kind Regards.

I'm running those rims on my wagon with 195/60/15s with zero issues.

Dan

Thanks for the replys! I might have to consider the 195 series option.

I just resealed the whole motor last week. (Head gaskets, valve covers, oil pan, rear main, cam seals, oil & water pumps and a new clutch) I have a Weber and Pro Comp multi fire ignition box on the way. I will probably upgrade to a 1.75 exhaust too. Hoping that all wakes up the motor some and more than compinsates for the slightly larger tires.

Edited by nrwphoto

Agree, Pug wheels are perfect offset for a MY but will stick out past the guards on an L. The Pug's are a +25mm offset, if they are alloys you might be able to mill 8mm off the back (assuming there is enough material) to correct for the L offset (if they are steel you are pretty much stuck).

Agree, Pug wheels are perfect offset for a MY but will stick out past the guards on an L. The Pug's are a +25mm offset, if they are alloys you might be able to mill 8mm off the back (assuming there is enough material) to correct for the L offset (if they are steel you are pretty much stuck).

I have read on a couple of sights that these have a 30mm offset. I know that's not much of a difference, just hoping they work without rubbing.

I'll like to read more information on that subject, Kind Regards.

I will try and post up a thread when I get it installed.

You might want to double check what offset wheels JesZek was using (he's got redrilled hubs so much better choice of rims). The Pug tend to stick out more than Subie wheels. I've had 205 R14s rub when using a lift kit & Pug's in the past.

That is True, the Peugeot wheels does stick out too much.

However, without the Lift, I was using Aftermarket wheels that had same problem than the Peugeot ones, sticking out too much.

So, recently I obtained a set of Nissan's 240sx 15" wheels, whose offset seems to be Perfect for the L series / EA82 wagon; they has -40 offset and stays inside the wheel's well like the factory ones.

By the way, what was *exactly* the Factory offset measurement for the EA82 / L wagons?

Kind Regards.

JesZek, I assume you mean +40 offset not -40 offset :lol:

The stock L-series offset was +55 (according to the web, not a FSM), which is almost the same as a modern Subaru (+48 to +53, depending on model). The Pug wheels varied from +20 to +35. That said, the stock L-series was pretty sunken in the wheel well, so a +15mm or so will still fit fine but in the OP's case they are going from +55 to +25 so it's twice as far as is ideal.

Perfect fit would be +40, and I don't know any OEM wheels that had this offset in a 14". The Audi 100 from 1968-76 had +50 offset which would work, but the wheels would be as rare as hens teeth imho (and I don't know if they were 14" or not).

• Like 1

JesZek, I assume you mean +40 offset not -40 offset :lol:

Confused the + with the - ... Sorry.

The 40 offset on the Nissan wheels I have, Really looks and works absolutely Perfect for the L wagon EA82, they are like factory fitment and thus means that the Bearings on each wheel will not suffer from the wheels being sticking out too much.

... Perfect fit would be +40, and I don't know any OEM wheels that had this offset in a 14" ...

I used to own a 4X140 wheel that came off a Citröen, the wheel was brand Cheviot, but made in France instead of Australia, and has less offset than the Subaru ones, somewhere the ~ 30 and I remember that there were 13" and also 14" cheviots.

Sorry for hijack the thread ... Kind Regards.

... if they are alloys you might be able to mill 8mm off the back (assuming there is enough material) to correct for the L offset...

They are the 15" flat spoke alloys. Do you know you can mill 8mm off or just throughing an idea out there? If it is safely possibly I might consider that to keep them in as far as possible.

Just throwing the idea out, I've heard of it being done on other platforms. I'd recommend running down to a wheel shop and asking them (once you explain the unique requirements). The actual machining part would be quite easy...