Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2002 OUTBACK AWD - High - Low ?

Hi everyone,   I'm new to the forum; and I have a question about the High & Low Ratios on the Subaru Outback AWD UK Model 2.5 petrol engine.

What is the correct procedure for changing the High & Low Ratios?    On the dashboard clock to the top left of speedo is a small orange coloured LO when the ignition is turned on; the high-low lever is forward (down) towards the dash ..   I've tried when the vehicle is stationary ; and engine running; and clutch pedal depressed all the way to the floor, bringing the lever bak up in to the High position; but there was no change to the orange coloured LO on the top left of speedo.    Should that wee LO change to HI or similar?   or am I not using the lever correctly; or maybe it's not working?

Help and advise appreciated

Regards

Moss

Sorry, gang--I know nothing about the Hi-LO dual ranges.  We don't get them in our Subies over here!

Td's suggestion is good--try to find an owner's manual.  Or contact Subaru or a local dealer.  Maybe search on-line for info.  Or maybe someone who's familiar with them will share on here.  Good luck

Use it like a second gear lever depressing clutch each time shifting.  

Can shift on the move also while driving as is syncromesh

Lever up for low range lever down for high range. 

Be careful to shift lever positively up or down otherwise can hit a false neutral. in between

Correct there is an orange lo light that glows on dash when low (lever up) is selected but should go out when high is selected (lever down - no green light)   the lo light switch works off the lever linkages somewhere under the central console I think :P   haven't had mine apart.

Is there a noticable  speed reduction when driving selecting low - is this working?  or otherwise lever linkages are disconnected somehow.

Low range is usually about a 20% reduction  on Outbacks

There is very little info in owners manual (just looked in mine)  and in Haynes service manual either.

http://www.subaru-car.ru/for3/for3_trans_4-1.pdf

Edited by subnz