Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wideband O2 sensor and controller

does anyone run a wideband 02 sensor/sensor controller here? if you do, what kind? ive been running an SLC pure plus (http://www.14point7.com/products/sigma-lambda-controller-pure-plus-2-1 <--- the newer model of what i have, im using original SLC pure plus) for 3 years with excellent effects, but was thinking of switching up for a visually more appealing gauge like the AEM or Innovate. if you run one, id like to hear your thoughts. 

if not, would anyone like to see a few pics how to install such a thing and have it feedback to your SPFI ECU's o2 sensor signal line? i just pulled it from my white wagon that i just retired, and when i reinstall it into my newfound beauty i can take notes and pictures for you fine folks of USMB. they are a very easy install, as simple as 2 power, 2 ground wires, a ecu feedback line, and the shielded cable to the sensor. there are inputs for datalogging rpm, temp and more if you care, but mine is just wired for the wideband sensor. 

benefits:

*more accurate idle fuel mixture and fuel mix monitoring

*fuel trim troubleshooting made easy, never guess what AF ratio youre at. 

*heated 02 sensor gets to temp in 5 seconds. cold start warmup cycles waste much less gas. 

*closed loop driving economy (steady highway cruise) is improved.

*no ugly wiring of relays just for a inaccurate narrowband's heater.. most wideband controllers also control the heater, as the sensor monitors the *current required to keep the sensor at xxx degrees

Edited by maozebong

i am very inteested in this i was gona rewire my o2 sensor to a volt meter ive pumped my ea82 to the point that something isent keeping up it kicks but when its cold but when its hot it seems it looses some punch im woundering if the computer is trying to lean out the mix or something this mod would totaly help and a more responsive 02sensor might help solve my problem in its self

I'm running an older Innovative LM1 wideband that I picked up for very cheap from a board member on the Legacy GT forum. I have it connected up to the stock ECU currently but will be connected to my MegaSquirt when I finally install it.

i used to run LM1s in the spec miata cars i used to build. they are a good solid unit, and dont even need the gauge to run. the 14point7 gauge is built into the controller (at least mine is), so mounting can be tricky to do.

i remember it had the calibration button, did you ever have problems in offroad use, or havent tried it?

for everyone else: basically the sensor needs its own power and ground, and the controller needs a separate power and ground. i chose to make my power and ground lines splice into the same spot on the fusebox. pick an unused fuse on the fusebox section under the dash. there is a green/red wire taped up on the fusebox harness that is an unused switched power source. if you have this circuit in use, pick another. i have heard many say that you need an engine ground, but i grounded mine to one of the dash mounting bolts right below the radio and had no ill effects. if youre a stickler for accuracy, feel free to run them to the engine block. 

the last part is the simulated narrowband output. this is what replaces your stock o2 output. pin 34 on the ecu, its a white wire. trace the wire back  little bit and its shielded. cut it and solder in your new simulated narrowband output. 

run the cable through either of the electrical harness plugs in the firewall, and install a bosch lsu 4.9 sensor into the exhaust, and enjoy the butter smooth closed loop operation. 

heated wideband o2 sensor! believe it or not, your o2 sensor does feedback something to the ecu. you can expect a noticeable increase in fuel economy. 

I was just thinking what does this do for you? What does it improve, etc. Other than being able to monitor the O2 level?

Mine is the same, digital readout on the case but I'm still planning on running a separate gauge for simplicity. I don't do any offloading though, my XT6 isn't really made for all that. I haven't really driven the car enough with it installed though to noticed a rise in my mpg but it will get some miles put on it once the weather warms back up.