Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SPFI Snorkel

Logan K

No you don't need any fancy parts just pull your fender off pull the stock snorkle and squise some 3" pipe into the air box glue it in and route your tubing Its simple just don't over think it the stock set up sucks so all you can do is improve it I used 3" aluminum downspout gutter Pipe and some elbows and a lot of silicone I wouldn't. Take it under water but it keeps my air filter is dry

• 1 month later...

Not useless the stock intake snorkle or water seperator or what ever they call it sucks real bad it only had a 1.5 inch opening g and snakes around under the fender when these rigs are lifted and the plastic gets removed even a small puddle can get the air filter wet so the snorkle dose 2 things increases intake air flow and keeps the rain and puddles from sogging out the air filter both of witch are a big deal at one time I did seal the ignition as well but quickly found the car itself leaks like a sive if I'm deep enuff to worry about the ignition swamping out I'm already swimming inside the car so I try to avoid swimming inside of the car but I do hit some big puddles now and then that are big enuff to swallow the car I just hit them hard and fast and I stay dry

• 2 weeks later...

Not really true about needed to waterproof entire elec. and exhaust blah blah......

I've driven through deep, deep water where my exhaust and entire engine including Alt and Coil were submerged.  For sustained distance across rivers and flooded areas. Definitely would have been swamped with a stock air intake setup, even with 6" lift.  The car fills up with water inside driving around, but keeps running.

Exhaust pushes out as long as you keep 'er running, and good plug wires with lots of silicon di-elec and an EJ22 at least will run fully submerged.  You can watch vids of subies wading with exhaust well underwater all over the net, engines too in many cases.

As long as it can breath, it'll run.  Hence snorkel.

I used a floor drain fitting sealed into the back of my airbox, and ABS pipe from there.

Its kinda cool watching your timing belt snake its way through water when the engine is running with most of it submerged.Less fun is when your in slimy,smelly,greasy mud up to the instrument cluster, especially when its starting to get dark/cold.

Edited by Uberoo

• 8 months later...