Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'98 Legacy Outback immobilizer issue

I just picked up a 1998 Legacy Outback wagon. Seller stated it had issue with immobilizer. Put new battery in and the immobilizer is activated. Searched under dash and can not find the reset button. My Haynes manual wiring diagram does not show the immobilizer circuits. What are my options for getting this thing running?

cars101.com has the procedures for all the Subaru alarm systems. I don't think '98 had a true ECU based immobilizer like later models but the alarm system definitely can prevent it from cranking.

Did it crank before you replaced the battery? I.e. just trying to determine if what the previous owner said is reliable, previous owners often make a lot of assumptions or have faulty thinking.

Your saying reconnect the battery with the key already in the ON position? Procedures I've found online talk about pushing and holding a reset button. The only thing I can find is a small toggle switch wired into the remote start box.

20151212_103332_zpsmxyzu8zt.jpg

Also when turning the key ON the engine cooling fan cycles ON and OFF in addition to the flashing red light on the dash.

Edited by smokeeater495

Two small green connectors under the dash. One wire each. Make sure they are UNplugged. Plugging those in puts the ECU in test mode which will cause the fans and all other relays and solenoids on the car to cycle on/off.

Yes, reconnect the battery with the key in the On position.

That remote start module may be causing your trouble. Looks like an aftermarket add-on. Those are notorious for causing problems.

Edited by Fairtax4me

Automatic transmission. I can hear a relay clicking in the Keyless Entry box up in the drivers footwell far left side, it has 3 connectors going into it. Also the little red light on the dash is flashing. The test mode connectors were connected, I unplugged them. I removed the power cable for the remote start box from the battery positive post. Still no luck.

Edited by smokeeater495

Just removing power from the remote start module doesn't eliminate the possibility of that being the problem. That box is still part of the circuit from key to relay to starter solenoid.

Have you checked for voltage reaching the small wire on solenoid?

That remote start box has the wires labeled, but I can't see exactly what it says by the wires. One of those wires going in is the signal from the key switch, the other goes out to the starter solenoid. Need to check both of those for voltage when the key is turned to start.

• Like 1

So far I have tried all suggestions. I am unable to locate a reset button. When connecting the battery a relay can be heard clicking in the keyless entry box and the tail lights flash. I checked for voltage to the starter down the main cable, got battery volts. Turned key and no voltage down signal wire to starter. Jumpered the trigger post and starter bumped engine. I spoke with the remote starter manufacturer and they said all wires in their unit are piggy backed and nothing interrupts vehicle harness. So I'm back to the keyless entry box and a dead Legacy. Does anyone know what color wires go to the reset switch? I have spent a lot of time under the dash and can't find the button.

I'm pretty sure now that the remote start box is the issue. The manufacturers instructions show piggy backing wiring onto the existing harness. Who ever installed it cut factory wires and reconnected to the Omega remote start. I believe that is all of my problems. Time to remove the remote start and rewire to factory original.

you do not seem to have the factory installed ''remote entry'' unit,

so none of those instructions will work.

i would call the remote start company and ask about testing or removing the unit altogether.

I did that. They said the unit is supposed to be piggy backed onto the factory wiring and simply unplugging it will take it out of the equation. Who ever installed it cut and spliced it into the Subaru harness. So, I need to figure out which wires can be jumped or connected to restore factory function.

Hi there I spent 5 hours on a similar issue trying to do a simple fix on the rear lights for a friend and in advertantly tripped the Security imobilser by removing the fuses for the box. It turns out that there was a factory upgrade to the security system which repositions the reset button. please have a look under the hood (USA)/ bonnet (UK) latch bracket. The factory mod to the security system months the reset button at the rear bottom of the bracket. Procedure is them as per the cars101 info previously suggested. I.e. Open drivers door - hold button for 15 seconds, etc. Hope that helps.