Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've had a noise coming from the rear suspension on the driver side of the vehicle. It is a clanking noise and usually only happens when a lot of load is put on the tire. For example, a hard uphill acceleration on a 90 degree turn from a stop sign; turning while going up a small hill basically. It also makes a squeaky noise if I push down on the rear of the vehicle. I feel like it has something to do with the strut or shock but my uncle said it could be a bushing. Any ideas? It's been like this for a while and haven't noticed much difference in drivability.

I was planning on taking it to the shop at the end of the week to see if they notice anything. I figured I'd ask here first just in case if anyone had a similar problem. I had the tire off earlier but didn't notice much because I have a decent bit of mud under there. I'll probably try to clean it and check again. I'm sure it's not the axle as it's in good shape and the car has been making the noise for a couple months now.

Thanks for the suggestion rooster. I'll check to make sure but pretty sure the exhaust was ok. Also I forgot to mention that when it makes the clanking noise you can feel it throughout the vehicle. It's very subtle and not too noticeable. The best way I can describe it is that it feels like something is popping in/out of place over and over. Not sure how much sense that makes but trying to describe it the best I can.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha I'm terribly sorry about that. Its a 2003 Subaru Otback sedan H6 3.0 liter. I currently have 155k miles and bought it a bit over 2 years ago at 125k miles. I think the noise might be ball joints but still not sure. The sound is now also coming from the front driver's side. I took off the rear tire and took a look and the strut seemed like it could be leaking but I think I'm going to take it to my shop to see exactly what the problem is. Also, if it is the ball joints should I get oem or aftermarket? Oem seems to be about twice as expensive.