Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So i just finished swapping a 02 wrx (engine, all wiring, trans.. everything) in to a 02 impreza.  

The WRX was wrecked beyond repair but still ran , shifted, moved etc. The 02 impreza had a blown engine but was rust free :)

When I went to start the car after the swap it sounds like a car that the timing is off. 

It cranks then has a distinct lag, no backfire though then cranks normal again.

Doesn't "lag" everytime but 9/10 times it does

Similar to when you install the wrong crank gear/ cam gears on the 2.5 sohc.

Any ideas where to start?

Edited by logic23

Thanks all for your help.

There were 2 issues going on: stuck tumbler valve(drivers side) and i had the coil pack wires switched on the passengers side. 

The stuck tumbler valve was putting it in LIMP mode. Once i replaced the bad tumbler valve postiton sensor ( front of engine) the valve opens and closes and no code :)

Then the car tried to run and I got cylinder missfire codes. Checked the injectors and coils. thats when i discovered that I put the wires on backwards. 

She now purrs like a kitten. Should have this on the road soon. 

its a 2001 wrx with 103K into a soild no rust impreza outback with 278K on the body.  upgraded to 04 larger front brakes. tein coilovers.  Ill take some pics when shes all buttoned up. 

Thanks again crew