Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'99 phase 2 engine into '98 phase 1 wiring harness

I'm not certain for this particular type of swap but what I've seen suggested for others is to keep the old engine's intake manifold. (Provided it will bolt up to the new engine of course). If the old engine was MAF based and the new is MAP/speed density based that might work. I don't know if those engines had EGR. If your emissions canister was under the hood on the existing car but is under the rear by the tank on the donor engine car keeping the old manifold might help with that too. If you are able to keep the old engine's intake manifold, it's possible the LH cam sprocket reluctor teeth things are different in which case you'd have to use the old engine's sprocket provided it would fit up.

You would be better off finding a phase 1 2.2. Anything from 91-97 (if its got EGR you will need an EGR motor to not have a CEL) will work, make sure you use the intake off the '98 and put it on whichever motor you swap in. May also have to grab the y pipe for the dual port headers on the earlier models.

so I took the wiring harness from the phase 1 intake and put it on the phase 2. I spliced the injector plugs and throttle position sensor plug. I was going to swap lh cam sprocket for that sensor, then there are some differences in the throttle body. I didn,t just swap heads and manifold because the phase 1 heads are damaged, I think from skipped timing, and I am on a tight budget. am I wasting my time swapping sensors and sprockets? is the ecu going to respond well to the new Frankenstein harness?

It's not going to like it, at all. Your only chance of getting this running is to swap out the crank timing gear and LH cam gear. The trigger patter on them are different from phase 1 and the engine will never start. The ecu also cannot control the phase 2 idle air control valve. The only way to get around that is to use a 93-97 ej18 throttle body. It is the only phase 1 throttle body to have an integrated iacv, the ecu will control it with no issues. You will have to make a plate to go between the manifold and throttle body to seal off the phase 2 iacv air port. Pull the throttle body and you'll see what I'm talking about. I have used this method to run a phase 2 engine on a phase 1 car, and trust me it's the only way to do it and have things work like it should. The only part that I never bothered with is egr, if your phase 1 is egr equipped there is no way to make the phase 2 egr valve cooperate.

Can it be done? yes. Are you wasting your time? Probably. You need to swap cam and crank, but you will also end up having to fab an adapter for at least the the throttle body if not the intake manifold. Plus there's a crossover somewhere for MAF vs. MAP sensors.

It can be done, but more than likely the best course of action is to find either a good used motor or a good set of heads. I have a set of single port Phase 1 EJ22 heads if you're interested.

thanks, adventursubaru, but the shipping might get high on those heads. I will look closer to home .after all Subaru is the state car in vt. also , you're saying swap cam and crank, do you mean shafts or sprockets? if you mean shafts then I am not going that deep with this and will focus on finding good heads. even with the phase 1 heads the crank will still be phase 2. all that matters there is whether the crank sends the same pattern signal to the ecu, right?   

thank you everyone for the help

Ok. 2.2 heads fit in large flat rate boxes so shipping both would be about $35. and you can have both heads for $100. Figured it's an option but you can usually source them locally as well. car-part.com is best. 96-98 heads will be single port and ideally you'll get one that matches EGR vs non EGR but there are workarounds for both to avoid a check engine light.

Sprockets for sure would need swapped but the trouble will be on the intake, throttle, sensors. will require some fab work to make it ever run and then who knows how well.

The block can be used from any 1990-2004 and probably beyond but the heads as a rule need to match.

No, all ej18 throttle bodies are the same. The the gears that make the difference. You cannot physically swap the cams between phase 1 and phase 2. You are creating more work for yourself by doing the head swap, and it's work that doesn't need to be done honestly.

As for removing the crank bolt, 22mm socket and a 2' breaker bar wedged against the ground bump the starter and you'll break the bolt free.

You can put in an EJ25D from a 96-99 Legacy or 98 Forester.

Most people swap the other way (25D to 22E) due to head gasket and bearing failures in the 25D. 

You will lose some bottom end torque with the 25D, and may need to run premium gas for a 96 or early 97. IIRC mid 97 they changed the piston design so it could run on mid grade. 

Another option if you're looking for some extra oomph is a 22E with a set of Delta cams.