Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I helped a friend with a headgasket replacement. Everything went like clockwork. I've done several of these. We replaced all the typical stuff, t-belt kit, water pump etc. hooked everything up and if fired right up. Ran it gently till up to temp, burped cooling system, fastened down breather. Fired if up again and drove about three miles to the store and back. Yep, we bought beer. Car sat for three maybe 4 hours. he went to start it up to drive home and it wpuldnt run. Starts up, sounds like crap, rough, missing. Does not smooth out at higher rpm. I have never seen this or heard of it happening. Only thing I could think of was jumped time but I checked and the timing is right.

ANY ideas. I'm stumped.

I wish it was a wire.  No, my guess is there is a cracked valve, head or block.  I didn't have it checked because I was under the impression that it wasn't overheated severely. On disassembly it looked good. clear path where the HG was blown. #3 cylinder looked very slightly discoloured. And the exhaust valves for that cylinder were discovered as well.  Not bad though.  Just very slight.   Will do a leakdown and comp test this evening when I get off work. The lob is actually a 2002 2.5L. My kids car is a 98. Brain fart.  Not any difference. 

I had a 96 22e in a 99 SUS do the same thing. Ran great till closed loop, than like crap. Timing had jumped a tooth. I did everything to that engine before install so I went thru everything till I rechecked timing and that's what it was

Did you actually take the heads to an engine builder and have them checked for warpage? Did you tighten the head bolts correctly (does Subaru use stretch bolts?).

As Fairtax mentioned, did you pull the plugs to see if they are actually wet? 

Update.  Been busy so I just got back to the car last night.

Pulled plugs, nice and dry,  light gray coating,  gap is okydoky.

plug wires fine and firmly installed on plugs.  Plugs were tight, no comp leaks.

Overall systems check, there are no:

fuel leaks, coolant leaks, oil leaks, vacuum leaks or incorrectly routed vacuum hoses. All wiring is tightly connected and correctly routed.

Scratch head 

Put everything back together, fired it up.  Starts first crank, pured like a kitten. runs for about 20 seconds at idle and shuts down.

Houston - we have a fuel problem or...OBC. Possible that the timing jumped but not likely? Seems to me that a timing issue would manifest consistently.

Bushwick - not I did not take the heads to a builder.  I did have them surfaced and checked for cracks. Subaru does use bolt stretch in calculating torque limits.  That's why you apply torque and not just tighten em down real good. Yes, they are torqued correctly.  This ain't my first rodeo. 

Texan - Did not read codes.  WIll do so this evening or Sunday.  I was a little disgusted with the car.