Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil pump for my Gl wagon

I'm pretty sure my oil pump went bad on my 86 Gl wagon. I called Wagner Subaru dealer and talked to them and they agreed. They can't get a pump so they gave me the part number so I could look online. I'm not having much luck. Anybody have any ideas? Can the pump be rebuilt?

There isn't a lot to the oil pump. Guessing you have an EA82 engine. A couple of o rings, on special, and a shaft seal. For EA82 engines, from at least 86 through 93, the pump is the same. So you can try looking under Loyale also.

The only thing I ever needed to do was reseal the oil pumps.

Would bad seals/o-rings make it sound like the engine is about to explode? Yes it's an EA82. Wagner done some research the pump that has the idiot light instead of gauge(like on my car) the same pumps I'd just have to swap parts to use gauge instead of the light.

it might help others if you shared those part numbers for future reads ? Good luck. I use a bit of grease to hold the mickey mouse o ring seal in plae after finding someone still managed to tighten up when seal had slipped out of its groove- and still pumped oil !

• 2 weeks later...

save your old oil pump then!

if you describe your symptoms, car, history, and mileage we might be able to help track it down.

but if you replaced the oil pump that usually means larger work ahead of you - replacing HLA's and the lower metal reinforced cam case carrier oring.

a sticking HLA will only be in one specific location - you can narrow it down with a mechanics stethoscope. 

sometimes you can pull the valve covers - which is easy for anyone who can replace their oil pump - and rotate the engine by hand and watch the HLA's for any signs of issues. 

mizpah engineering sells rebuilt HLA's for like $8 or something crazy or rebuilds yours for $5. 

other causes usually generate multiple HLA's ticking, on multiple cylilnders or both sides or it changes over time - but can vary quite a bit so this isn't exact. 

the only easy fix that's a crap shoot is to try some oil related treatments - changing oil frequently, higher solvent contents, with the hopes that frees up any HLA's. 

okay - both of those terms, without context, are ambigous and meaningless simply because these engines have their own curiosities in this department.  since we don't know anything and can't see/hear the car let's start simply:

Egine knock

Is it actually knocking or is it TOD and how did you determine that?

engine knock - if it's actually engine knocking (like rod knock) - nothing is going to fix that and eventually it's going to fail - sometimes in fun catastrophic ways like rods blowing through the engine case. 

if it's TOD - that's a completely different story.  most of ohio is very unfamiliar with Subaru's, particularly old ones, so if you've been told it's "knocking" - you might want to verify that with well versed Subaru people. 

It's called "TOD" which stands for "Tick of Death" because it sounds like rod knock, sounds ominous -but actually it's benign and the car will run 100,000 miles most liklely without issues. 

which is it?

Low Oil pressure:

how do you know it's low oil pressure? 

usually "low oil pressure" on the gauge is benign and indicates no troubles. 

if it's by the factory gauge - EA82's and ER27's routinely show "zero" or near zero oil pressure on the gauge.  some Subaru Owners manuals even mention that it's normal. 

the pressure sender may be inaccurate. 

otherwise - post what tests were done, how they were done, and what readings you got. 

I know the gauges are inaccurate. Car has 90k miles. Gauge normally read good at start up then would read low when driving and drop to near nothing at idle. Which I know is "normal" for these cars. When the engine noise started gauge stayed zero. I've heard the TOD on other vehicles. This is more than that. I'll try and upload a video. Thanks

• 1 month later...

Soooo.... Replaced oil pump, Mickey Mouse gasket came off in 3 pieces. Put every thing together and it still knocks. Got a rod flopping around like a fish outa water. Best place to find a replacement or just rebuild?