Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 TB changed. Car won't start.

Phase 1 EJ22 had an idler blow itself apart and jumped time. While we had it all apart, we replaced all TB components, water pump, thermostat, accessory belts, and valve cover gaskets. Did an oil change, and coolant flush and replacement.

Now it has a strong crank, but won't start. Just turns over with the starter. It seems like everything is hooked up. What am I missing? Should I just keep cranking and pray?

you may have used the wrong mark on the crank sprocket - for belt installation, you ignore the arrow/triangle on the front. You use the tab with the dash/line on the back of the sprocket.

also, did one of those tabs break off? the crank position sensor needs them.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

you may have used the wrong mark on the crank sprocket - for belt installation, you ignore the arrow/triangle on the front. You use the tab with the dash/line on the back of the sprocket.

also, did one of those tabs break off? the crank position sensor needs them.

This is what I was thinking. Unfortunately, my brother finished up the TB change, not me. So I can't be sure without tearing the covers off and looking. Back to the garage, I guess.

What year is it? if it's a 97 or 98 it may have bent the valves. I bet the timing belt is on incorrectly, though.

The car is a 96 with a non-interference engine. I'm betting my brother put the belt on with the crankshaft off 180 degrees. He's out there tearing it apart to figure it out right now.

He was sure that he set the timing right. He pulled the covers and reset the timing, still nothing.

We pulled the plugs and they look pretty bad. We'll install some good plugs and try again, but it would be a little bit weird that it ran fine before the timing failure and now the plugs are suddenly so bad that it won't start. So I'm betting the plugs are not the problem.

We're also going to change the fuel filter to see if maybe its not getting enough fuel. Low fuel AND low spark AND TB failure would be quite the coincidence, but I guess anything is possible.

96 is a non-interference, I had the belt break on mine going 80 on the highway with no damage.

You can count the teeth between between timing marks. With all the timing marks straight up. From the crank mark to the passenger side cam mark, there should be 44 teeth. From the crank to the driver side cam there should be 40.5 teeth (yes, it starts on a groove and ends up on a tooth on the belt). This will ensure you have the belt on correctly even if it's marked incorrectly.

At this point, you need to start checking the engine vitals. Pull the injector harness plugs and using an oscilloscope or noid light check to make sure they pulse when the engine is cranked. Check to make sure you have fuel pressure. Check spark at all cylinders. You might have bumped a connector on a cam/crank sensor that's causing all your issues.

96 is a non-interference, I had the belt break on mine going 80 on the highway with no damage.

But how do we know the motor wasn't swapped out with an interference motor?

Its always a possibility and it only takes a few minuets to do a compression check.

Ive had it happen, you just never know unless your the original owner.

same thing with the 96 ej22 i am working on.  previous owner took it apart to change cam seals put it back together and wont start.   it will start after resetting the T belt.  everything  has been changed.  I smell gas when its turning over.  either in the intake does nothing.

did you fix yours ?  thanks

same thing with the 96 ej22 i am working on.  previous owner took it apart to change cam seals put it back together and wont start.   it will start after resetting the T belt.  everything  has been changed.  I smell gas when its turning over.  either in the intake does nothing.

did you fix yours ?  thanks

My brother ended up starting his own thread for this. there are more ideas and answers there. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/158991-96-impreza-cranks-but-wont-start/