Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys I have a 98 impreza wagon with the ej20k engine. I've read online that it takes 4.5L (4.8qt). I took it to the local Subaru dealership to get an oil change since I work 1 block from it. This was friday. I gave them a 5L jug of oil (5.2q) and they confirmed with me they will use appx 4.5L (4.8qt). Well I picked up the car since I was in a little rush to pick up my son from school, I didn't check if they put the remaming oil in the trunk.

I got home and forgot to check the oil dipstick. So 8hrs later I checked the oil, engine cold, and it was above the full mark dot. It was up to the top of the notch. 

Is 5.2qt classified as overfilled?

Edited by awdonry

one side should read at the full mark. other side will be at notch if it is 'full'. If one side reads over the notch and the other side is at the notch, than it is 1/2 quart over.. Keep in mind, 1/2 quart over is not alarming. Most lube shops don't know how to read a Subaru dipstick and fill it to the notch.. Also the Subaru dipstick is only accurate with the car very close to level

one side should read at the full mark. other side will be at notch if it is 'full'. If one side reads over the notch and the other side is at the notch, than it is 1/2 quart over.. Keep in mind, 1/2 quart over is not alarming. Most lube shops don't know how to read a Subaru dipstick and fill it to the notch.. Also the Subaru dipstick is only accurate with the car very close to level

OK thanks matt167! One side is at the top of the notch, the other side to the Full hole, but with a streak of oil on the edge. Probably from the pick up tube? 

So the first time you pull the dip stick you wipe it clean. Then reinsert the stick back and the 2nd time you pull it out it should be accurate? I did it 4-5 times and the oil kept on getting higher and higher.

... the first time you pull the dipstick you wipe it clean. Then reinsert the stick back and the 2nd time you pull it out it should be accurate? I did it 4-5 times and the oil kept on getting higher and higher.

Is the car, parked on an inclined floor?

You must consider two things, one already was written by Matt167:

... the Subaru dipstick is only accurate with the car very close to level

The other thing is, that when you turn the engine off, certain amount from oil goes from the Oil Filter to the Crankcase, augmenting the level overnight; that's the reason why usually, is better to measure the Oil level, when the car already reached normal operatin' temperatures; with engine off.

In case you want to easily get rid from the Excess of Oil, without doing a mess; this Video could be Helpful:

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Is the car, parked on an inclined floor?

You must consider two things, one already was written by Matt167:

The other thing is, that when you turn the engine off, certain amount from oil goes from the Oil Filter to the Crankcase, augmenting the level overnight; that's the reason why usually, is better to measure the Oil level, when the car already reached normal operatin' temperatures; with engine off.

In case you want to easily get rid from the Excess of Oil, without doing a mess; this Video could be Helpful:

Kind Regards.

Thanks! As far as I know my garage is level. I had it built, concrete poured 2 years ago. 

I don't have clear tubing, but I do have 3 ft of left over black vacuum hose. I will try to use that, I just need to get a syringe so I'll try the 24hr pharmacy and try to get it done tonight. 

• Like 1