Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SVX potential project, and trans failures?

I always wanted to do an SVX project and it looks like one may be coming my way. The master plan is two swap in either the V10 out of the BMW M5 (clearance permitting) or the Chevy LSA 6.2ltr and a Tremec TR-6060 trans. Both a similar in baseline HP and potential. I am going to look at the candidate car later in the week. 

Like many SVXs it has a failed 4EAT, not a big deal as I plan to gut it, and the history of why it fails (overheating too much weight) is well known. But I am curious, when they fail do they hard fail, slip allot, stop shifting, etc. just what do they do? The thing is going into the recycle bin, but I am curious what SVX owners have seen.

Cool, thanks, just trying to get a heads up on how much trouble it will be to get this thing home if it is a no rust candidate, trailer, flatbed, etc.

-Another candidate engine on the table I forgot to mention is the Ford 5ltr Coyote, height wise it might be a tight squeeze even with a tube frame x-member but it is on the table. I am going to stash the EG33 away in case I come across an XT chassis, I am itching to redo my original SVX into XT swap, with today's transmissions and engine management it should be light years ahead of the original version.

Yep, the one I had had no 4th gear. When you got going fast enough to try to shift into 4th gear, it would just free rev like it was in neutral. Pull it down into 3rd, and it was good to go.

Yep and it will do that for about 200-300mi, then 3rd gear will evaporate....can ya tell i've been there, and proudly wear the t-shirt? Lol