Ultimate Subaru Message Board

power steering pump replacement

the power steering pump on my dads 2008 legacy sedan is making a bad squealing noise that increases with the rpms. also when you first start it up and turn the wheel it kind of jotly

could the pump be going bad and if so how extensive of a procedure would it be to replace it. 

I've worked on my loyale, but I have a strong mechanical background. 

Squealing or groaning? Squealing is the belt. Groaning is the pump. Screaming is a bearing.

Replacement is easy. Just costs you the price of the pump and about a quart of fluid and possibly the price of a belt. Most pumps come with new o rings too.

It's one of the easiest things to do on most cars, especially these cars.

Check for leaks. A common place is the o-ring where the hose from the reservoir mounts to the pump. The most common reason for noise is air. Sometimes that can be from a leak in the pump, but it's not the only place it can leak. If you have a stethoscope that you can pull the end off, you can put the stethoscope hose near that where the piece that the hose mounts to un the pump, see if the noise is louder there than just next to the pump.

okay so the power steering fluid is full and there are no bubbles in it.

here is a video so you can hear the ridiculous sound that it is making
I had my brother turn the wheel from left to right, so when the noise gets louder is when the wheel is being turned.

the link at the top of this post is to the video, if anyone can watch it and shed some light on what might be wrong with the pump I would really appreciate it!

that's a weird noise - maybe the relief valve inside? (is the sedan an H6? there's TSB for the relief valve I think)

(did you spray the belt with a plant mister? cheap and easy - though it really doesn't sound like a belt. maybe the edge of the belt is shredded and some fiber is whipping around???)

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

If you can, jack up the front end and turn the steering wheel lock to lock numerous times with the car OFF. Make sure the cap is on the reservoir when you do this as the pressure will push fluid out of the res otherwise. Once you've done this a dozen or so times left and right, check the reservoir and top it off if needed. Then start the car and if the noise has gone away, even just temporarily, your pump is sucking air. Check line ends for moisture and replace o rings as needed. Then repeat the wheels up bleeding process.

Either the pump is sucking air or you need a new pump.