Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best ECU for Ej22?

Kitajw

So I'm in the process of piecing together all the components I need to turbo my 99 Impreza Wagon with an ej22.

So far I've got:

Td04-13t turbo

03 Wrx Intercooler/BOV

Wrx Up-pipe (unknown year)

Wrx Fuel pump

Oil sump

Spare single port headers I will be modifying

What I still need is a downpipe and full turbo exhaust, injectors, and most importantly... A good ecu!

Does anyone have experience with a N/A turbo build? Recommendations?

Piggyback or standalone?

What's a good, affordable, and easy to install ECU?

Note: I plan on boosting around 7-8psi with a good tune. I know my engine has a high CR but I don't think that amount of boost should be an issue.

Any input would be appreciated!

• Like 1

Well, it's been done on the stock ECU. Or swapping in an EJ25 ECU, that'll be expecting a little more air. I've personally seen 2 of these done for many miles, and be surprisingly reliable (the issues were unrelated to the tune. Hoses rubbing, etc.)

It's been done with an aftermarket (rising rate, or just higher) fuel pressure regulator and the stock ECU.

In my experience, the stock ECU doesn't get along with piggybacks so well. It works for fuel adjustments (but the stock ECU does pretty well in that department anyway), but when you start trying to fool it into changing the timing, it freaks out and the engine dies.

Standalones are expensive. I've worked more than a little with Links, and a GEMS controller. And have good friends with experience with Hydras, and Haltecs. But be prepared to spend thousands on a decent one.

I've been looking more into Megasquirt. It's got some teething issues, and a bit of a learning curve, but it's becoming much more user friendly and powerful. You can get a nice, pre-built unit for less than a grand. And if you're willing to do some soldering, more like a few hundred. I've been tempted to throw a turbo on my Celica, and if I do, it'd be with a megasquirt.

FI on an an NA engine has been done plenty of times - google how far other people took it.  

I've been looking more into Megasquirt. It's got some teething issues, and a bit of a learning curve, but it's becoming much more user friendly and powerful. You can get a nice, pre-built unit for less than a grand. And if you're willing to do some soldering, more like a few hundred. I've been tempted to throw a turbo on my Celica, and if I do, it'd be with a megasquirt.

Multiple times over the years I've thought by now we'd be seeing this far more common and talked about, why is it not?  Just low volume of people doing it?   I haven't even heard of anyone playing with it in years, I figured it was going extinct. 

Okay so I've heard conflicting things about boosting on stock ecu. Much of what I've read has actually said that it's safe as long as you keep the boost low.

If I run around 5psi I think I'll just leave my computer the way it is. (My car uses a Map system)

On the other hand, I would like to push as much power as I can safely. That's why I have been thinking about putting in a stand alone. Not sure where I've heard it but I think I've read that my car doesn't like piggybacks elsewhere too.

The problem that I have with boosting on stock ECU is that I cannot find reliable specs on this turbo. I would very much prefer to use the internal wastegate rather than buying an external one.

I've read some about the actuator being 5-6psi but others say it's 10 or 13.5psi.

I do plan on testing it myself with a hand pump, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Any idea what kind of longevity I'd be getting out a that kind of setup? I've got nearly 150k on my motor.

I do have another ej22 with a spun rod bearing. Got a good parts car for 400 bucks!

I was considering building this one. Possibly swapping the rotating assembly with one from an ej22t.

That or just fixing it with stock components and doing a head swap.

Thoughts?

Of the 2 that I was referring, one was run for about 70k miles (to about 250k) with a TD04 and stock EJ25D ECU, later with injectors, a RRFPR, and over 10 psi of boost. The other had blowby at about 220k when the TD04 was installed. We started with a Perfect Power 6 piggyback on that one, and it was just a bucket of problems. That one ran great with the stock EJ22e ECU, but had other issues, mostly with the poorly-made up-pipe cooking the CV boot. That one was swapped out for considerably more power after about 20k miles, although still running strong.

Edited by Numbchux

We aren't talking about a phase 1 maf car here guys. This is a phase 2 map car.

Everything you need to know to about turbocharging your engine is in this thread. http://www.rs25.com/forums/f7/t107798-ej222-phase-ii-map-2-2l-ej251-turbo-conversion-parts-list.html

Another option is to swap to an 02-05 wrx ecu, which is covered here. http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t199059-diy-wrx-ecu-swap.html

You can ignore the stuff about swapping cam and crank pulleys and the throttle body because yours already has those parts needed.

• Like 1

Thank you for info! I've previously read that first thread about the Ej22 MAP engines and was considering following exactly what he did. Wrx ecu swap is something I'll be doing some thinking about....

I've had several people swear that I'm going to blow my engine if I don't tune it. (None of which have any experience with this)

Although I have a lot of faith in my engine, I still can't help but worry that I'll only have boost for a few weeks before it detonates.

On another note, Anyone know where I could find a solid ej22 shortblock for a decent price?