Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stripping a GL and Loyale, what's worth snagging?

Hey guys,

I own a 1986 GL auto 4WD wagon w/carbo (burgundy) and my mom owns a 1985 GL 4WD wagon (blue) w/carbo.

I'm always on the lookout for spare parts to keep these cars looking their best, as some stuff just fails over time due to age.

I'll be stripping two cars in the next week, and I'm curious on what is really worth grabbing from them. They are:

1987 GL auto 4WD wagon (I think it's a carbo) and it is also the same blue as moms car...........virtually an identical twin in appearance.

1993 Loyale manual 4WD wagon (engine type unknown) and it looks to have been repainted a tan color (as the side moldings are painted over as well).

Not counting the obvious accessories I'll pull from each car, is there anything in particular I should take out and save of importance?

I usually take most of the interior stuff (except the dashboard itself, some components from it though), the fenders, most exterior hardware (handles, moldings, light fixtures, wire harnesses, etc.).

I'm not familiar with what changes were made on the Loyale's from the GL's, except for the center armrest........which is taller. This is the first Loyale I've ever taken parts from, so I'm excited to see some of the changes that were made visually.

I'm just curious what I could use from a Loyale that would make our older GL's better in some way in appearance and quality in terms of materials used on the later models.

Thanks.

Edited by Checkerboard Comet

The entire SPFI system. But that is a project. The engine below the intake should be the same as your older ones.

Brakes, axles, suspension all interchange, except a couple odd differences with axles, the fsm has a chart. The dash in the 93 might have a different instrument cluster. Mine had just an oil light, no voltmeter, so a swapped bits from other older ones and have the full set.

Another diffences I discovered between my 86 carb vs 88 and newer spfi, all 3AT s, is the final gear ratio is taller in the carbed one, making it even slower than the lower hp alone compared to the spfi.

Stuff to keep around in case

Outer hubs if the splines are good

Headlights that dont draw condensation

Vacuum advances that hold pressure, maybe a whole disty

Fan relay if all speeds work

Working dash clocks

Door toppers that are in good shape

Drive line if the cartrier is tight

Oil pumps that held pressure