Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2011 Outback Vibration at freeway speeds

I have a 2011 Outback with 116k miles. Has a terrible vibration at speeds over 60 mph, which has developed over the past 20k miles. Can feel it throughout the entire car, even the passengers notice it. The steering wheel shakes like crazy, you can even see the mirrors vibrate. The tires are Michelin Defenders with only about 10k miles on them. Wheels are factory and had new struts installed at 100k miles. I even swapped out the wheels for a short time with another set and made no difference.  All new brakes and rotors. Have had it back to the tire shop countless times for rotations and wheel balance with no success. Been to two Subaru dealers and they had no answers. Both dealers said they couldn't find anything wrong in the front end and that it had to be a balance issue even though the wheels were perfectly balanced. Its to the point that it can't be driven on the freeway and I'm about to give up on it and trade it in. I know the shake issue with this gen of outback but mine seems extreme. Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 

If changing wheels made no difference it's not a wheel balance issue.

It's sound like you have either a bad cv axle, or a locked up u-joint on the driveshaft. Either one poses a high risk for damage if it breaks.

If the steering wheel is shaking side to side it's more likely to be an axle problem.

If everything is vibrating up and down, that's more likely to be from the driveshaft.

• Like 1

I have a similar issue (shaking from side to side) on my 03 Forester and it is related to the rear lateral link bolt/knuckle interface.  If you lift the wheel you can move the wheel sideways and see the aft end of the knuckle move around the lateral link bolt.  Yours could be a bad wheel bearing so definitely check that out (jack the front wheels up and see if the wheel can move) there should be little play.

Could also be something else that more experienced members may diagnose but checking the wheel bearings may not be a bad idea.

Yes - take it to GD, you've got one of the best Subaru shops in the nation right next door:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/superiorsoobie/about/?ref=page_internal

Good description - the side to side seems to suggest something up front oscillating the wheels and then transfering to the steering.  So I'd guess front drive axle or bushings. 

1. Have the front axles ever been worked on?
2. Any prior accidents or major work?