Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea81 brat 86 cv axle upgrades?

So i have be looking and looking can someone if they know it, link a thread with brat cv axle upgrades. Mostly for offroading. Another side question, would the ej 5 speed single range or the ea 5 speed duel range be a better choice. I have an ej22 thats been rebuilt that im planning on using. Im hesitant of pulling the ea 5 speed d/r because its in a fully running ready to go ea82. What's wrong with using the 4 speed brat tranny? Ive read that some people say the ej22 will destroy the ea 4 speed.

Thanks

To my recollection, both the 4spd and 5spd DR trannys will take 200hp before failure is eminent. Someone here had some dyno proof, but I don't recall who. The weak point of the 4spd is the third gear blocking ring. It wears out causing the shift to third to grind. The 5spd doesn't do this. There's been tons of EJ swaps with the 5spd DR with no issues so those that did blow must've had a previously unknown tranny issue. If you're off roading, you want the DR, not the EJ trans. You want the low range. As for the EA 82 axles, you're stuck. The weak point is really the stub shaft in the tranny and diff. It will snap well before a CV when put under a hard load.

• Like 1

I know there are places that will make custom assemblies, but they charge a pretty penny to do so. There are hybrid combos mixing different Subie shafts and CVs, but I believe those were made for swapping in EJ running gear. I never paid a lot of attention to it since I've never had any issues with my NAPA axles. Someone who knows more will chime in.

What's the difference between ea81 and ea82 cv axles? Why do some people say you have to lift evenly the ea81 and the ea82 can take a little bit more on the strut towers? The weak point is the cv axles. Im just trying to figure out what i can do to upgrade the cvs for this reason. Im thinking of possibly remaking the control arms

The issue with lifting the ea81 is that they have bad cv angles from the factory. Lifting them unevenly just exaggerates the problem.

it's a function of the length.

You get more travel at the wheel out of the longer axles, using essentially the same joints.

Yeah we have fabbed axles. It's not that hard if you can fab press tools to take them apart without damage and have a master (and I mean this in the strongest sense possible) welder that can shorten the shaft, weld them together, true them on a lathe, and the sleeve them.... etc. We shortened a set of EJ axles for doing a 5 lug swap on an EJ swapped Brat for rally-x. I would say it's probably beyond the capability or price of 99% of the EA community. It's easily $500 per shaft.

GD

• Like 1

Thats a little ridiculous for cv axles unless then are so solid that its rare for them to brake

It's not ridiculous for the guys shearing axle bars in stage rally. The six speed is strong enough to do this. Stock STI axles have been tested at the track and will do approximately 30 hard, sticky launches at stock power before the axle shaft shears off.

GD

• Like 2