Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electronic Oddity, any in depth ideas?

MY #1 pin is at the bottom RIGHT of my ECM, All other schematics show #1 to be TOP LEFT or TOP RIGHT only....

How the hell is this possible?  If my attachment will not blow up properly for anyone interested I can email is directly to you and you'll definitely be able to see the numbers from the original photo...

Only the harness plug is numbered, the ECM pins are not.

Edited by koolminx

I know, this stuff can be such a pita.

My suggestion is to look at the wiring diagram and find a wire color for something that you will need to test, say the cam sensor input. Pin 6, and it's ground pin, 5

The wiring diagram shows the pos side as a white with red stripe wire, and the ground is green. Or just look at the cam sensor itself. Then find the wires on the harness.

With the harness plugged in or facing away from you, pin 1 is on my upper right.

Remember the pin 15 and 16 trick i suggested? Those are in the upper left and both have yellow with BLUE stripes

(Sorry i said red i was going from memory)

Also the bottom right are two black wires with yellow stripes,

Pins 71 and 72

Those happen to be your injector grounds.

That is how mine is at least

Am I PCM my bottom left 71 and 72 are black with a white stripe my far right which would be 9596 or 9495 are black with a yellow stripe. On my harness itself the black with yellow stripe are number two and three and if I go above that the very last top-right wire is light or mint green with a red stripe going around it and the one to the left of it which I guess would be to According to some diagrams and number 15 according to others is brown with silver dots

Well I did have voltage to my coil pack but I also put on the one from my buddies 98th and I'm going to try that as soon as my son gets home with the keys to the damn car what a retard asked me to fix his poop and then leaving with the keys for college...

Edited by koolminx

Neither of those have gone bad from what I have seen which admittedly isn't a whole lot.

The one from the 98 should be the same.

Are you using the same pinout as i am?

71 and 72 lower right the two black with yellow

15 and 16 upper left both yellow with a blue stripe.post-61859-0-17160600-1515444590_thumb.png

Large connectors often have some kind of numbering system on them, and it often doesn't match the Pinout diagrams used in service manuals.

FORGET the numbers printed ON the connector. Identify the pins BY WIRE COLOR, and work from there.

Also, calm down! Don't give yourself a damn coronary trying to figure this out. This thing ain't rocket science and you're not trying to learn Hungarian. It's wires and a box, step back and drink a beer or five look at it from a different angle.

The ignitor on the firewall is the transistor(s) that switch power to the coil pack to fire it.

Just match up a few wire colors with numbers and you will soon get a picture of the numbering scheme. It should take no more than identifying colors of each corner wire and the wires adjacent to them then determining the pinout numbers from there. Ignore the labeling on the connectors.

GD

I hesitate to derail this pinout discussion but you mentioned a toggle switch and it seems like you got this car from a previous owner that dId some other custom wiring, you mentioned grounds.

I’d be checking that toggle wiring and other edited wiring. No one here would be shocked, or hasn’t seen, custom wiring be an issue.

I’d also be verifying the year/part of the vehicle, engine, ECU and other components. Maybe this thing was swapped or wrong parts were installed before you got it?

Yes in all likelihood this will end up being related to aftermarket $hitty wiring. Things like this almost always are. Definitely a good idea to look that junk over. Barring seeing the problem there, the idea is to verify power and ground leads to the ECU and then trace back if they don't exist.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Okay update. I put in a new ECU computer control relay I now have two clicks I now have positive voltage and I have ground to my injector pins at the ECM I have a good crank sensor I have a good cam sensor I have a brand new good coil the only time my noid light on the injectors will flash is after I release the key exactly as shown in the previous videos does this mean that the ECM is fried?

Yes I have 12 volts to my injectors yes I have 36 PSI fuel pressure no the timing has not jumped the timing belt is new and intact both timing covers are off and the car was running prior to his failure to start which means it was driven to the store shut off my son walked in the store came back out and the car just crank and crank and crank and crank to no avail