Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2006 Outback 2.5i Fans come on too late (212F)

My Outback has caused me lots of headaches lately.  It's been overheating going uphill and leaking oil from the passenger side head gasket, so I decided to do a head gasket job, and replace the water pump with an OEM while I was in there.  That turned into a giant mess, with a cracked cylinder head, pitted exhaust valves, and bad piston oil rings.   GD and others on this board had some great advice for me, so I'm hoping to hit the well one more time :)

After finishing the head gasket/valve/new cylinder head job, it's still overheating.  At least a number of things were ruled out (cracked head, pitted exhaust valves, head gasket, water pump).  I suspect there's a clogged radiator so I ordered a denso replacement.

But one other issue I have spotted is that the radiator fans stay off until 212F.  At 212F, they kick onto the low speed.  Then, at 217F, they kick onto high speed at 217F.  Both are waaaay too late, in my humble opinion.  The temperature gauge is above normal at 213F.

If the temp is 212F, and the fans are on low speed, I can flip the A/C switch, and they kick on to high speed.  So I don't think it's a fuse/relay issue.  I think the signal itself is wrong.  Perhaps there's a TSB or a reflash needed?

Plain OM on the Subaru Outback forum had a good thread observing this behavior and a hypothesis to explaining this behavior, but not any solution...

Edited by jamesm113

In my personal experience. On an 09 outback and an 09 forester. Right after I did a HG job. The fans don't come on until 212/214 degrees. Then they're on high until the temp reaches 204 or so.

I can't explain the issue with them not coming on until 217. But thats my personal experience.

• Like 1

Yeah it's not too much of a concern really. My Trans Am originally had the fan set points set to 222 and then didn't kick on the secondary fan till 243. Higher temps result in more complete combustion and fewer hydrocarbon emissions.

One of the MANY reasons these engines have always needed synthetic. Amsoil synthetics can handle sustained 350 degrees with no damage. Definitely do run a 5w40 though. Viscosity decreases with temp. I run nothing but 5w40, 10w40, 20w50, or 15w50 depending on stock, modified, season, etc.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1

Ok, if 212F to 217F isn't a huge concern in terms of temperature... What temperature ranges are cause for concern?  And what temperature means "pull-over immediately"?

I only hit 228F (about 3/4 of the way up the temp gauge, near the gap in the white line), and sustained all that damage (rings, valves, cracked driver head, warped heads).

So, I've only owned the car for ~8k (purchased at 145K, 153K now).  I replaced the thermostat and rad cap as a troubleshooting step at 146K, the coolant was green and appeared to be in good/clean condition.

During my period of ownership, the coolant was never low.  There was always coolant up to the radiator neck, and the coolant level was always above the L mark in the coolant reservoir.

The only symptoms of a bad HG was an external oil leak on the passenger side, above the oil filter.  It's my understanding that this type of external oil leak is very common with the 05-09 SOHC EJ253's.  The car never had bubbles in the coolant reservoir, never had oil in the coolant, coolant in the oil.  It also passed a block test.  There were never spikes of high temperatures.  It would take a long, sustained hill (or towing up a slight grade) to get the temp to rise.  Around town or unloaded highway driving would never cause an issue.

Upon tear down, my untrained eye did not spot any paths between the water jacket and the combustion chamber.

EDIT Add missing photos.

post-28704-0-08543700-1515389682_thumb.jpg

post-28704-0-83136800-1515389713_thumb.jpg

post-28704-0-07138100-1515390133_thumb.jpg

post-28704-0-04180900-1515390151_thumb.jpg

Edited by jamesm113

I've seen that gasket on a few of these engines. Those are some kind of aftermarket crap. Dunno what brand they are but they are absolute.... They literally fall apart in less than a year.

Agreed with GD. The damage done was possibly due to previous overheating. The problems you were chasing were due to the crap head gaskets that were put on it.

• Like 1

Wow. 

Up until now, I thought I was doing the first HG job on this car.  They were single layer HG's, so I just assumed they were the originals.  The PO owner had told me that the HG gaskets were never replaced.  I don't have any service records indicating there was a HG replacement.  The biggest repair I have on record is, the radiator was compromised and cross contaminated ATF and coolant.  Both the rad and the transmission were replaced then (2010 and 75k).

I'm impressed... For the life of me, I can't tell the difference between mine and the OEM single layer 11044AA633 gaskets.  

For the sake of completeness, I'm adding the remaining photos (the photo uploader was giving me trouble last night).

EDIT: More photo uploader trouble..

post-28704-0-97800200-1515472140_thumb.jpg

post-28704-0-58569500-1515472173_thumb.jpg

post-28704-0-87708900-1515472316_thumb.jpg

post-28704-0-61092200-1515473076_thumb.jpg

Edited by jamesm113