Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gearbox stand

Them? Pat Malone Bennie ! I made a crude square shape from 25mm shs so it picked up all four bolt holes of an EA bellhousing and think I just bolted it to the plate and hit it all in gloss black to match the wheels. Think it was a 500kg rated in first instance. I chopped the length of the sleeve that can slide along through the base of the upright. Typical chunky over engineered from super cheep half price ten years ago and hoarded

pause

I recall someone on ausubaru - good forum :)  had a factory stand, someone else made a copy of one - which is what I had set out to do until I thought this should work - less pieces of crap to store. I already had half a timber cradle built to sit on my mobile bench before deciding a copy was the way to go, then this idea.

another pause

this way parts can go on the bench within reach.

It rotates, and can pull each bolt at a time so possibly can split the case. Sorry not gonna unstick it to prove it - I'm putting this baby back together this time will be selecting third before final steps unlike when it last went together Jan last year when I was among the walking dead.

She's got some nice tight specs inside. I got it off the disco about 9 years ago - AWD single range out of a Vortex with Brumby friendly 23 splines for front shafts. Also designed and commisioned a 24mm sway bar to clear the box. Need this done to try out behind my EA82M then the EA82T goes in :)

Just thought worth sharing

• Like 1

Nice one mate!

It wouldn't be hard to make a frame to bolt between the engine stand and the gearbox (held on by two bolts of the lower side case when sitting on one side), this frame then has a set of horizontal arms to support the weight of the rear section of the box, allowing the box to be secured and able to be split...

Thinking I'll have to steal the gearbox on the engine stand trick ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Nice one mate!

It wouldn't be hard to make a frame to bolt between the engine stand and the gearbox (held on by two bolts of the lower side case when sitting on one side), this frame then has a set of horizontal arms to support the weight of the rear section of the box, allowing the box to be secured and able to be split...

Thinking I'll have to steal the gearbox on the engine stand trick ;)

Cheers

Bennie

That's why I am sharing the idea mate. That is what forums are for, not hanging sh1t on others :(

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

.maybe a photo to come....'they' split the box and left the guts suspended by two bolts. Great to work on and around. While fitted up I will measure up for a support to add to the end just in case its all too much load on two bolts

• 3 weeks later...