Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'86'Soob won't start

Oil pressure  - the dash gauge may not be accurate,  get a mechanical one for testing.  There is a 1/8" British tapered pipe thread plug on the pump, near the bigger port for the gauge sender.  Do not try to use a 1/8" NPT pipe fitting, or a metric one.

Timing way off and choke not working will cause all sorts of trouble. 

The windshield is cracked and chipped and there's several places around the edge that are pitted rusty. I've watched some YouTub vids on this and prepping the rusty areas seems to be primary. If nothing else , I can pull the windshield and do the prep work on the rust. I don't have glass cups and I'm usually a one man show so having someone else put a new windshield in might be best. Does one of those pull cutters from Harbor Freight work very well for the removal?

The only way I have removed an EA82 model's windshield successfully is to use one of the lower note guitar strings from an electric guitar.  The ones that have a second wire wound around the main single strand.  Cut all the windshield glue you can away with a razor knife.  Poke the pointy end through the windshield glue.   Once you get it through,  attach steel wire to each end, and add a couple of sticks for handles.  Saw it and guide it around.  It is a real workout.  And you have to be careful,  as you can break the string.  

I tried a tool before, it had a L shaped blade on a handle with a short cable and 2nd handle to pull with.  It had 2 problems.  One, I am not strong enough to pull it single handedly in some of the positions required , and the other, is the blade was too thick, and it cracked the windshields I tried it on.

• 1 month later...

I got the old windshield out using a utility knife on the sides and top and the sharpened edge of a putty knife along the bottom. There was rusty pitted metal all the way around and that was my concern. I took a wire wheel to it then painted it with rust inhibitor then put several coats of primer over that. Just need to wet sand it and top coat it. I'll take it in and let an installer install the windshield.

Thanks for the responses.

Edited by 3crows

• 10 months later...

After watching several You Tube vids I removed the windshield and had a guy come out and replace it. I cleaned all the old caulking off and treated and primed all the rusty parts around the edge which I don't think the cheap shops do. Cost $200

On to other problems.

And as usual, thanks for responses!

• Like 2