Ultimate Subaru Message Board

94 Legacy replacing struts - what else should I do?

1994 Subaru Legacy FWD 4 door sedan. 280,000 miles or so. I'm replacing the rear struts since they are quite old and have been leaking for a while. Anyone with experience with this model that can suggest other things that should be done while I have it apart? I've never done the rear brakes, I figure I should probably do them while I have it apart. What other things should be done on a vehicle this old?

I see your location as Lebanon but that could mean the Middle East , Connecticut , or probably a handful of states.

If you were up here in CT or any state where rust is a problem I would treat the wheel aprons with tar or whatever you choose. Especially around the horizontal seam near the top. 

Clean and inspect the fuel filler tube. 

Check wheel bearings. You already mentioned the rest. Good luck. 

OEM Strut mounts - at least check them or have them on hand and return if not needed.

Brakes - clean and grease the slides (if disc) with high quality Sil Glyde or equivalent. 

I would buy a brake kit with new pad clips as they get old and hang pads due to build up corrosion or rust.  Get OEM clips or top quality if possible,  I’ve seen aftermarkets rust not long after install.

Check cv boots and see if they’re split. 

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, I'm in Phoenix AZ now. Was in Lebanon, Oregon. From rain to hotter than hell, July and August days are almost always in excess of 110, and 115 is not that unusual.

Thanks both of you. I actually bought a set of strut mounts. When I did the front struts, the mount bearings/bushings were getting bad, so I don't expect these to be any better. I haven't pulled the wheels so don't know if I can repack the wheel bearings or if they are pressed into a hub like the front ones are, but I'll be sure to check those.

I have a set of pads and new rotors. I always reuse the factory clips, though the set that came with these pads are surprisingly sturdy - usually, the clips that come with new pads are flimsy and I just throw them in the trash.

Inspect brake cables, though the front ones were not cracking at all.

I replace the front axles every 2 years or so because the after market crap axles just don't last. The boots split after a year or two.

Any recommendations for a replacement transmission? I can get a rebuild kit for less than $300, and while I worked as a mechanic many years ago, my specialty was electrical and carburetors (that is how long it's been, I use to make a living overhauling carbs). I don't really have the tools and expertise to rebuild an auto tranny.

$2500 gets a rebuilt unit from the local parts store. $500 gets a junkyard unit. Any recommendations?

what, specifically, is wrong with the tranny? the Subaru 4EAT is a fairly robust unit.. it may just need a fluid flush, or something else simple.

if it is something more serious, on one this old, I would go with a lower miles JY unit myself.. just make sure the gear ratios match between tranny & rear diff.

Oops - just noticed you state it is a FWD unit.. so disregard the gear ratio thing.

Edited by heartless

My son is near you also baking his arse off thru summers. Pretty nice temps right now ! 

Theres a Subi specialty shop near by. Subiworks ? Or Subiworx ? I’m curious if the $2500 is a total for parts and labor. Either way , I personally would avoid that because I’m still at a point I feel I can do these by myself. 

I’m also in th FWD club. We have a 92 sedan automatic and a 92 wagon 5spd both FWD and you can look in archives here and see how I’ve tried to hunt down any FWD trannies so I can have my friend do the rebuild. 

You’re in a much better region for finding FWD. I’m cheap so I’d go for the junk yard deal and try to talk them down too. Shop around in car-part.com and see what other yards near you may have. 

Jackass shop/yard specialty shop up here wants $800 for a very used FWD unit but next to nobody up here has a FWD anymore. Just one bad example , but still very hard to find up here.