Ultimate Subaru Message Board

high and low trannie swap with the stock loyale tranni

‘87 is the crossover year (at least for Australia) between the series 1 and series 2.  Easiest way to work out if series 1 or 2 is:

- series 1 has just an indicator stalk on the steering column, flat grey buttons either side of the instrument cluster and an elongated black honeycomb grille.

- series 2 has the combination switch (indicators/wipers/headlight switch) on the steering column, black bordered buttons either side of the instrument cluster and a colour coded grille.

Gearbox dimensions and bolt in are the same.  The diff ratio could change. There were 3.9:1 diff ratios in the series 1 and I’m 99% sure only 3.7:1 in the series 2.

So grab the rear diff with the gearbox and you’ll be sweet.

Stick with carb EA82 gearbox as these have the smaller 23 spline diff stubs. The SPFI I’m not sure on as we didn’t get them here. The MPFI and MPFI turbo are the same as the EJ diff stub - larger and 25 spine. 

The good news is that either diff stub CV shaft is available for the L series. If you can’t find a good set of used factory you should be able to find an aftermarket set, as crap as they might be. 

Grab the centre console and gearshift linkages and rubber gearshift boot. 

All the best with it. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 2

It’s all Lego!!

In my ‘88 L series I’ve got the factory 1.59:1 dual range, phase 2 EJ cases and matched drive gears from an SG foz, L series AWD locking centre diff with a modified pinion shaft for 4.111:1 diff ratio.

All of this is a factory bolt in job with an EJ in front of it. And it goes well - just have to not go breaking the centre diff or pinion shaft - I’ve done that once already, very poor job on the first pinion shaft. It wasn’t fun :(

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1