Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Maintenance outside Subaru dealership?

+1 local

This is not a blanket statement but I have sat in dealerships and listened to hard selling of services to "the little lady".

"I see you have children with you... you wouldn't want your blinker to suddenly stop working."

A good local mechanic will likely be busy enough not to need to sell his services.

Be reminded to keep itemized receipts in the event any Subaru warranty issues arise.

Edited by brus brother

Best to ask someone well versed in Subaru's too so you get quality parts and service to supplement any work - regardless of dealer or independent. 

You never want to buy a "60k service" at any shop.  They're usually over priced marketing ploys to dive profits. A "60k service package" and doing the actual 60k maintenance from Subaru's list can cost hundreds of dollars difference and be the exact same service.  it's pretty silly, but so many people don't know that the shops can get away with it. 

1 hour ago, TheGoodShepherd said:

2014. And the maintenance schedule is a bit off, as the fuel filter is inside the gas tank and cannot be replaced.

I had everything else done, saving me hours of travel and waiting. New air filter, brake fluid, spark plugs, and other systems inspected.

Thanks, again

Oh it can absolutely be replaced. It cost's about $80 and is a dealer only part. And it takes a couple hours to do it. And probably several days for the fuel smell in your cabin to disappear. 

That said - we never do them. They really just don't get dirty. 

Don't ignore the cabin air filter. We change those out about every 15k depending on conditions - especially if you park under trees, etc. We spray the new filters with HVAC filter adhesive. Makes them smell like oranges. People love it. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

14 hours ago, brus brother said:

+1 local

This is not a blanket statement but I have sat in dealerships and listened to hard selling of services to "the little lady".

"I see you have children with you... you wouldn't want your blinker to suddenly stop working."

A good local mechanic will likely be busy enough not to need to sell his services.

Be reminded to keep itemized receipts in the event any Subaru warranty issues arise.

I agree, stay away from dealerships. One make I will NOT work on other than oil changes and brakes are Nissans. I know a guy who used to work for the Nissan dealership who runs his own shop and he only fixes what's wrong with the car. He might suggest something but not try to sell you a bunch of "preventative maintenance" items like the dealerships do.

The local Subaru dealership around here acts like they still own the car! I don't know if this is all Subaru dealerships or just the local one.

I took my 2003 Baja in to the dealership summer of 2017 to have the faulty air bag checked and before I left the service manager tried to talk me into what I suspect would be over $2000 worth of work. They told me I needed new tires, new battery, brake pads, wiper blades, timing belt, coolant flush, transmission and differential fluid changed, brake fluid changed. I guess because I have done all of this stuff myself and it's not showing up in Subaru's computer so they assume none of this stuff has ever been done to it.

I might agree with the timing belt since if it breaks can do major damage because the car is 15 years old yet even though it only has 80,000 miles on it. I asked him how much would that cost and he said $800. I can buy the parts from Advance Auto for around $200 and do it myself!

I'm like, "Why don't I just replace the entire car?"

I do almost all my own maintenance on my vehicles unless it's something like a front end alignment. I informed him I already done everything he quoted me and keep a record on my Google Drive of what I do even if it's minimal.

I pointed out at one time I had removed the calipers on one side and measured the friction material off the pads compared to some new ones and they were half worn at around 68,000 miles and there was no way they were worn out at 78,000 miles.

It seems these dealerships really try to sell people on "preventative maintenance". OH you wouldn't want your battery to go dead at the wrong time? I have AAA if anything happens.

I mean, yeah changing your oil is a good idea but most of the time, why replace something if it's not broken? 

Here is a list of what I have done to my Subaru. I started keeping these records about 10 years old. So yes the car has had several oil changes before 56,000 miles. Looks a bit crooked because I copied and pasted it.

2003 Subaru Baja

Oil drain plug :   17mm

Trans drain plug : 21mm

Filter: Purolator  L14460

Oil Capacity :     4.2 quarts / 4 liters (5W/30)

Trans :               3.7 quarts (75W/90)

Diff  :              .8 quarts (80W/90)

Tire pressure :    30 PSI

Wheel torque :    65 ft lbs

Lug nut         : 19mm

Wiper blades :     Rain-X Expert Fit : C20-4 (pass) C-22-4 (driver)

Coolant capacity: 7.2 quarts (13 mm allen head bolt, near oil filter, engine block drain)

(Phillips head screwdriver, passenger side, radiator drain)

Spark plug   : 5/8" (16mm) , Plug Gap: .040"

New pad thickness: Front: 10mm , Rear 8mm

Item                              Mileage Date   Recommended Mileage

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Tires                   : 45,265 11/13/07

Changed oil @           : 56,000 Unknown     60,000

New O2 sensor           : 59,344 03/02/10     xxxxxxx

New IFPS CV joint boot  : 59,760 04/25/10     xxxxxxx

Changed oil @           : 60,130   05/11/10     64,000

New spark plugs :       """""" 05/11/10 90,000

Changed oil @           : 64,300   08/01/11     68,300

Changed oil @           : 67.800   12/31/12     72,000

Checked brake pads  : 67,800  12/31/12 Front: .55 mm , rear: .4mm

Changed oil @            : 71,000    01/15/13     75,000

Changed fuel filter       : 73,000    07/03/14

Changed oil @ filter     : 75,000    02/02/15 79,000

Cleaned air filter          : 75,000 02/02/15     90,000

Changed trans/diff oil  : 75,600 04/25/15     100,000

Rotated tires @           : 75,600 04/25/15     83,100

New wiper blades        : 78,000 11/09/16     -------

Changed oil @             : 79,000    04/27/17     84,000

Changed coolant         : 80,600 04/24/18

Edited by turbofiat124

They aren't targeting customers like you. Neither am I. You have a 15 year old car that you maintain yourself and a lifestyle that is willing to be interrupted by failures. "Don't fix it unless it breaks" is one philosophy - one that is *sometimes* successful in saving a tiny little bit of money. But over here in the real world where people rely on their cars to arrive at their place of work where they get paid far in excess (amortized) of the savings from attempting their own repairs, missing work, and paying tow bills, etc.... it doesn't pencil out to be profitable. 

Not to mention - no military, aviation, government, or other important organization has ever concluded that preventative maintenance is a bad idea long term. And generally speaking we are a specialized society. I fix cars. Someone else bakes my bread, and some other guy cobbles my shoes. Just how it's done friend.

If you do it for funsies that's fine - but don't be mistaken that you are saving money. You are trading time - and time is often more valuable, and is directly proportional to money at some rate. 

We do a lot of preventative maintenance and we pride ourselves on keeping our customers fleets at a full state of readiness at all times. 

GD

• Like 2

I would only go to dealerships for recalls or other service covered, because their prices are very high retail, they're greedy and take advantage of customers as others have said.  Subarus are not that complicated, there are many mechanic shops around here and probably most geographic zones, even in the South.