Ultimate Subaru Message Board

09 Forester replacing the head gaskets

Thank you all for your advise guess I will be going with oem. But there is one thing that puzzles me since there is an issue with the original gaskets that causes them leak around 150,000 miles. so have the oem gaskets been improved or will i be replacing them in 150,000 miles again?

The gaskets have not been replaced before. We are the original owners and this has been a very low maintenance vehicle.

Thanks again for all of the support.

16 hours ago, utcoyotehunter said:

Thank you all for your advise guess I will be going with oem. But there is one thing that puzzles me since there is an issue with the original gaskets that causes them leak around 150,000 miles. so have the oem gaskets been improved or will i be replacing them in 150,000 miles again?

The gaskets have not been replaced before. We are the original owners and this has been a very low maintenance vehicle.

You're installing a different gasket. 

There is probably a chance of the newer gasket leaking by 150,000 miles but they hold up much better than the 09 gaskets.  the newer 2010/2011 EJ25's that came with updated gaskets have a presumably much lower rate of failure and it's different - they push exhaust gases into the coolant and overheat, unlike your 2009 which will never do that - it'll just leak externally. 

The statistics are really low - but you probably have more chance of issues repairing it than if you don't.  The repaired gaskets have a small chance of stranding you and introduce a (tiny) potential for user error, the current gaskets do not have any additional risk by leaving them.  For that reason there is zero gain in doing the gaskets preventatively in most situations.  

If they're known original gaskets I'd leave them be unless the engine is coming out for something else or you're going in for massive surgery that takes 2 years to recover from.  Otherwise the headgaskets start leaking slooooooowllllllllly and can not cause any issue or failures at all, it's impossible.  At first the metal around the headgaskets just gets slightly discolored, like a mole on your skin.  It just looks like grease at first, you can't even tell it's oil by looking at it. Then it gets bigger and bigger and a few months later it forms it's first drip.  Then the drips will get worse over time - in any event - you have months from the first sign of wetness on the block/head to plan a repair like you're doing now. 

It's not like they "blow" in the traditional sense of overheating, oil/coolant mixing, or blowing coolant out the exhaust pipe and could strand you - none of that is a possibility with this engine.

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 1