Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I had noticed some spots on the driveway under it a coupla days ago, and tonight there was an intermittent noise so, when we got home, I did some troubleshooting by flashlight. (can't get her car in the garage here at the new place yet).

The spots seem to be a little oily with nearly no smell so PAG or w;ever oil? I can actually watch beads of refrigerant/oil sweat out of 4 tiny 'pores' in the large hose from the a/c comp!!! . going to the firewall. They are evenly spaced in a line about 7/8" apart. I guess migrating thru some inner layer of belting? The entire area and the hose are oily.  So, first question, is OEM my first/best choice here? part number seems to be 73422ae07a ? And it seems weird at the firewall, like held in place under a retainer that's part of some tubing going to the dryer?

the intermittent noise I was able to confirm was not rpm dependent when we drove to dinner. Got home and it is the left side (US drvrs) fan motor. So, is my first best choice OEM motor only , 45131ae01a ? Aftermarket? some kind of assembly? How easy is it to move the fan blade over?

or, is this an opportunity to get some proven upgrade? It gets very hot here and for the money/effort, I'd consider proven aftermarket part of some kind.

any guidance appreciated!

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Good job figuring that out! 

For no good reasons except they’re probably not expensive and aftermarket AC lines probably don’t have a lot of longevity reviews - I’d get new OEM AC line and a used fan, (unless new are reasonably priced)

Doubt you want them but I can ship you a used hose if you want, and fan maybe.

Those H6 have variable speed fans and maybe the ECU is even involved?  Id stay OEM unless someone who knows that specific system recommends otherwise. Probably not that complicated I just avoid electrical work unless I’m really compelled!

well, after posting I spent some time shopping. The OEM hose is around 160 bucks, a UAC item from RockAuto is $17 !

and, the fan is also offered by several aftermarket co.s . I think I'm gonna try one made by Spectra - I 'back-tested' these brands looking at Amazon reviews, you're right, there aren't a lot, but ,yeah, not enough reviews to really dilute any 'fake' reviews so, not 'risk-free' decisions on my part for either item.

wonder if I can do the fan assembly swap without taking a hose off? I'm not opposed to doing it from underneath even if the undercover has to come off.

and the way the hose seems to go into the firewall is odd.

• Like 1

They won’t come out from the top without removing hoses, and I can’t recall if I haven’t tried from the bottom or tried many years ago and forgot, but I’ve never gotten them out without pulling hoses and my assumption (maybe incorrect) is there isn’t space/angle from underneath.

good news there are direct fit H6 fans and if you can do it yourself it’s so easy I wouldn’t worry about an aftermarket AC hose.

Are fans H6 specific and if so are those aftermarkets definitely configured for h6’s and not just H4 fans listed for an H6?

I admit things aren't clear even using the Subaru part numbers from opposedforces so, there's a lot I won't know until I can inspect or compare parts. Hoping also for decent weather when the parts come in - may not be able to get right on the project.

I may try to video the little pores leaking out - I was using an LED flashlight and maybe the spectrum had just enough of the right blue to make a little fluorescence - I think I had put some dye in the system at some point in the past.  Might not have even spotted them in the daytime. Still, the hose is covered in oil.....plus, knowing the discharge hose's history (on my 3rd one) I'm not surprised it needs changing.

if I get oil, or a refrig. can with oil in it, from the parts store, is that oil gonna be compatible? do I need to worry about that? The system has been open in the past, plus, as said, oil has dripped out - thinking 1/2oz to maybe a full oz would be good to put in after the hose swap.

getting ; SPECTRA PREMIUM CF14007 {#45121AE02A, 45122AE01A, 45131AE01A}  fan assembly

and, UAC HA111777C {#73422AE08A, 73422AE08B, SOA635095} Suction Line  hose

both from RockAuto (coupla other items too)

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I would add 1/2 oz oil with dye. 

I would have the hose repaired. There's a place in town that does that and they pickup/deliver to us. Mac's Radiator. Maybe someplace similar near you. It's typically about $80. 

You really need to pull a vacuum on the system after you fix the hose. Don't just put in refrigerant with those cans. Like as not you'll overcharge it. 

GD

• Like 1

I have 'rented' a pump before from the parts store so, yeah, I'll do that and use the gauges and 2 12oz cans - that should get me close to the volume listed on the car.

no need to worry about oil compatibility? w'ever they offer will be OK?

I will not throw my old hose out - didn't know getting it rebuilt was even an option ! thanx for mentioning that. - $80 would be 1/2 the cost of new OEM and it seems clear to me the metal parts are fine. probably get it repaired and hold in reserve if this UAC part fails early. How would I find a hose rebuilder?  lol, off to do some searches!

are 2 parts held in place at the firewall with that one bolt in the middle of that odd-shaped part?

Nice hit. 

Call a local radiator shop or diesel mechanic place that makes air/fuel lines and they may know who does it?  Some NAPA stores support commercial trucks and make hoses  for fuel and air  maybe they could do it or know who does?

if you want to avoid downtime I’ll ship you one to have rebuilt and ready to go.  Or maybe I’ll just ship it to GDs place. Haha.  

Most big radiator shops do AC. That's where I would start. I would trust a local guy with quality hose, crimps, and crimp machines to do it better than the $17 Chinese part.

Any PAG oil with UV dye will work fine. It's only 1/2 oz for a line.

Yes the single bolt holds both hoses on. You will need the o-rings from Subaru for the hoses. 

GD

oh, I'm quite sure there's a quality difference on the hoses, if I get 3 years+ out of the cheap part I won't complain. The scattering of reviews on UAC hoses I could find seem generally OK. fingers crossed.

I did find a shop within a coupla miles that does hose rebuilding so, got that under control. Great suggestion GD , thanx again.

now, in which of these unpacked boxes from after my move did I put the gauge set.......

• 3 weeks later...

well, the $17 hose clearly will not work on my H6. Wouldn't be able to put the engine cover back on - and even with it off doubtful it would allow the hood to close.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...Ouaa5OTGqhtxcn

M3uUWLnwixydMVWp8

place a coupla blocks away  is rebuilding my OEM hose for "about $40-$50 dollars" (waiting on a phone call when it's ready) thanx for suggesting that GD !

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan