Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T Jap Spider Conversion. Help please.

G'day mates. I came across a Japanese Issue EA82T with spider inlet system at a sale and could use some help with it. I'm wanting to replace an Aussie issue MPFI. and  have some questions: (BTW, I have the right subframe for it). Turns over ok and has 165 psi in each pot.

1. Has anyone done this already that can point me at a thread?

2. It looks to be arranged for an intercooler and there is no bracket for the firewall stabilizer. Is the stabilizer not used on this motor or is there some other bracket I'm missing off the gearbox?

3. The engine harness has its plugs cut off - I'm goin to have to extend or modify the existing one. Can I run it off the existing CPU (sans dash 'turbo light') ?

4. The TPS and temp vac swithing are in different positions. Would the colour codes be the same?

Just trying to do some homework before I do the swap. Worst comes to worst, I'll just swap the Inlet system but I think the later one would be better if it could be wired up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bert.

Are you trying to fit it into a Hotwire MAF or a Flapper?  

If it's hot wire MAF car then you should be golden.  Extend a few wires here and there and swap 2 connectors on the tps.  (flat has 2 connectors for TPS, 5 wires, but 2 of them are ground so really just 4 wires, spider TPS is four pins all in one connector)  I think Extend CTS wires too.

If your car is flapper maf......you've got more of a challenge.

Far as I know they never had intercoolers, just an elbow from turbo to throttle.

• 2 weeks later...

Gannon is doing the spider to EA82T in northern NSW with a speedyefi speeding ECU. Ausubaru92 is his user name in here

On Ausubaru.com.au search posts by Discopotato03 as he did this to a Series One flapper AFM RX turbo. He found the need to adapt the Series One throttle body and TPS in order to feed the early ECU. An aftermarket clockwise?/ Anticlockwise TPS may work on the spider as the spider throttle opens opposite the non spider TPS

1 hour ago, Steptoe said:

Gannon is doing the spider to EA82T in northern NSW with a speedyefi speeding ECU. Ausubaru92 is his user name in here

On Ausubaru.com.au search posts by Discopotato03 as he did this to a Series One flapper AFM RX turbo. He found the need to adapt the Series One throttle body and TPS in order to feed the early ECU. An aftermarket clockwise?/ Anticlockwise TPS may work on the spider as the spider throttle opens opposite the non spider TPS

Regarding TPS, I was abe to mount the Flapper, 3 wire TPS onto the spider Throttle body by removing the cover from the TPS, drilling a hole to allow throttle shaft to pass through what was the "top", and used long screws and standouts to mount the 3 wire TPS "upside down" on the body.  Wish I still had pics but photobucket,  ya know.

Still haven't heard from Ausbert, is this car a current Flapper, or Hotwire Maf? (early v. late)

4 hours ago, Steptoe said:

I’ve found it easier to use google search with “site: www.ausubaru.com.au” in the search terms. 

For me the search on Ausubi .com.au isn’t any good unless you or someone has visited the old thread since the new forum came on line.  It could be different for you - and different if you’re on a computer vs on the phone as I am most of the time. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Here is a pic of the VariOhm universal any which way TPS and adaptor I made for my flat manifold throttle body to work with my Peel Instruments Lean Bias Logic Propane enrichment unit. It runs the same 8 mm throttle shaft with D flat profile as the Subaru EA throttle bodies

IMG_20190303_145611.jpg

IMG_20190303_145637.jpg

IMG_20190303_145626.jpg

Edited by Steptoe