Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Chasing misfire in an 08 Tribeca (EZ36)

Getting back into the subaru game a little bit more. Can't remember my account password and the email associated with it was discontinued. (AdventureSubaru is my account)

Anyway. Got a good deal on an 08 Tribeca that needs to become the family vehicle by July when baby #3 arrives. I'm selling my 4runner and putting a lift etc under our 2011 outback and it will become my daily.

Anyway - 08 Tribeca with the ez36. 175k. Good body. Smooth shifting. Check engine light is on for a p0306 (cylinder 6 misfire) - Drove it 3 hours home. When pulling up a steep hill or if I accelerate quickly the CEL with flash with the active misfire. Driving gently and cruising home at 60-65mph and 2kish RPM it was smooth and not flashing. At idle it seems to stumble a bit but the CEL doesn't flash. 

Ordered a good used coil off ebay and will pick up a spark plug after work today and fingers crossed. What else should I be checking? Upon googling there was a long list of possibilities and outcomes from leaking valve cover gaskets, to bad ECU to head gasket issues. This is only the second EZ motor I've owned, so what are the more common fail points to be aware of?

Plugs - there's nothing else to consider until those are checked, they might be 10 year old 175k plugs.  I'd use the OEM NGK's, they are great plugs and don't look that warn ever after 100k. 

After that Check coil and Check for oil in the spark plug tubes.   I prefer to do the valve cover gaskets and plugs all at the same time as the plugs are way easy with the covers removed and a debacle otherwise in the vehicle.

The serpentine pulley bearings fail all the time, I replace them every 60k or so. 

Hey - I bought your 98 legacy in the past!

49 minutes ago, forester2002s said:

Swap the #6 sparkplug with another. See what happens.

Then swap the #6 sparkplug wire with another. See what happens.

no wires, they have COPs. 
they're tight, #6 is in the back with the least clearance, and not easy to remove, for my time and pocket change i'd just install a new plug in #6. 

10 hours ago, idosubaru said:

no wires, they have COPs. 
they're tight, #6 is in the back with the least clearance, and not easy to remove, for my time and pocket change i'd just install a new plug in #6. 

Sounds like the other five have been swapped out for new ones but that last little bugger was left as is... 

Hopefully it’s an easy fix. 

Cheers 

Bennie