Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2014 Outback Electronics gone wacko?

Howdy to the board.

2014 Outback, 2.5, Premium edition, 48,000 miles.

A month ago, a mechanic left the oil filler cap off when changing oil.

24 hours later, I noted the oil light came on.  A full quart had blown out through the opening and all over the engine.

This may have nothing to do with the current problem, however................

Today after driving down a steep driveway, the  Check Engine light,  Brake Lights, Cruise Control symbol light, and what appears to be a Traction symbol light all came on.   I stopped the vehicle, turned off the engine and let it rest a few minutes.  When I cranked the engine to return home, all of these lights/warnings came back on again.  

Once home, I checked the oil and did a general scan of all wires under the hood and saw nothing wrong.

What I am dealing with?

Many thanks  in advance,  Bo Cash,  western NC

Best option is to get the Check Engine code read (most of those other lights are because of the check engine light).  Get the code read for free at most chain auto parts stores and come back and post it here.  

I have heard of a number of events like this being related to the brake light switch, but that's just a guess based on no OBDII code.

I doubt that this issue is related to the oil cap

Edited by Mike104

bocash3,

When all of those lights come on at the same time, it indicates that usually one issue affects all of those systems. I suspect one sensor has a bad connection, broken wire or the sensor has gone bad. Usually its a simple and rather inexpensive fix under $100. A bad ABS/speed sensor would flash the Brake, the Traction Control, and the cruise control , as well as the Check Engine Light all at the same time, A good OBDII scanner will identify exactly where to start looking and which wheel. It could be more than one issue, but I would doubt it. Good Luck!

THANKS, Fellows!!

I forgot to mention  that  mice have been taking sunflower seed into the engine compartment  and  gnawing  the hood insulation and stuff near the firewall.

I suspect the rodents may have eaten insulation off of a wire or two.................  Meanwhile, am driving the car because I do not have time to take it to a mechanic immediately. 

The  air bag has a recall, so I may take it in to a Subaru dealer  and have both problems taken care of at once.

Thanks once again!!   Bo

On 4/2/2019 at 11:32 AM, bocash3 said:

The  air bag has a recall, so I may take it in to a Subaru dealer  and have both problems taken care of at once.

I’d want to walk in there already known some codes. It could be a simple fix that’ll be an expensive exercise at a dealership. 

Who knows, the code could point at something for you to investigate that gets you started on some self maintenance if you’re into that sort of thing. 

Cheers 

Bennie