Ultimate Subaru Message Board

accidently poured 1 oz. of 5-20W oil in 3AT trannie

luckily I noticed it was yellow & stopped pouring, I grabbed a quart of that instead of ATF - they were both in silver (plastic) bottles (Phillips 66)... and I drove it home about 15 miles seems fine ...

Ooops?

Yea, I was really concerned cause I was under the "mental delusion" that ATF was "vegetable oil" based but if their both petroleum based than, the viscosity is probably the main issue - I'm glad it was 5-20W rather than straight 40 weight - also I'm in L.A. so it never gets much below 40 degrees (so far - this was a noticeably colder winter..)

Never had any shifting problems, just wish the 3AT had a 4th gear - but I put taller tires on and that helped (does 55mph at 3250rpm)

Thank You

Edited by Craigar

8 hours ago, Craigar said:

Yea, I was really concerned cause I was under the "mental delusion" that ATF was "vegetable oil" based but if their both petroleum based than, the viscosity is probably the main issue - I'm glad it was 5-20W rather than straight 40 weight - also I'm in L.A. so it never gets much below 40 degrees (so far - this was a noticeably colder winter..)

Yea atf is just thick hydraulic fluid, you can put power steering fluid in there and vice versa on old cars. In a pinch the fluid you use in hydraulic jacks is good but an incredibly expensive way to get power steering to stop whining.

1 oz is nothing in 9 quarts. I think you can accidentally put 1 oz of beer in and she'll be fine. Drive her hard a bit and have a look at the dipstick, if she's low or anything else you don't like i guess its wrench on the drainplug time!

Cheers man, take her to the beach soon, i have family in Manhattan beach and rolling hills estates. I would love to drive my subaru to CA, but I took my 77 Camaro there once in 2015 and got pulled over three times cause of my Colorado plates. No ticket given.

I fear that that'll happen again but worse cause i have little patience for such nonsense i might get beat up and arrested. These cops have itchy trigger fingers too, they take the strap off their holsters every time once they see my german shepherd.

Sorry for the rant, but is a 80s subaru wagon more "suspicious" than a muscle car? It's more "hippy" i guess so i think yes.

Again, cheers boys

Edited by sparkyboy

Experiment on the bench and pour a small amount of yellow oil into a small bowl of ATF and just watch what it does. Dunno what ATF is as it washes away with water and do not expect vegetable oil or mineral to do that